Author Topic: Collyhurst 1940's  (Read 815 times)

CollyhurstGal

Collyhurst 1940's
« on: 20:18:42, 04/10/21 »
Hello..... Is there anybody out there?

I am looking to share any memories you may have of growing up in Collyhurst during the 1940s and '50s.

Particularly interested to hear your stories about Rochdale Road, Mays Pawn Shop, St James Church, St Malacheys, and Abbot Street School, any Pubs, Playmates, addresses - anything really

lozflan

Re: Collyhurst 1940's
« Reply #1 on: 20:28:36, 04/10/21 »
Hi, did'nt live there but did sleepovers in the war,as Uncle was out fire fighting.
Grandad moved there to new flats ,from Queen Mary flats in the early 50s.
We always walked there from Cheetham via Gould St.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

[email protected]

« Reply #2 on: 23:29:24, 10/11/21 »
Hi my mum Margaret Ellinsworth lived on Hannah Street
Think it was number 13. She was born in 1930 and lived there with her sister Sylvia. My grandmother Helena ( known as Nellie) was a dinner lady at St James school. I think they had other relatives on Hannah St. My grand dad Albert at some point think it was as a child, lived in a pub but not sure if it was the Queens.

Davidm

« Reply #3 on: 10:39:33, 26/02/22 »
My dad and family lived in Croft street, and coincidentally trying to find more about him and the area too. He used to attend st Edmunds school, Monsall

He was evacuated to Reddish in 1939, so I am also trying to piece things together there too

If anyone had pictures of Croft street and surrounding areas it would be fascinating (long shot I appreciate)