Author Topic: Late 60s/early 70s UMIST rock disco on Saturday nights  (Read 597 times)

Ed

Anyone remember these or used to go to them? I was an under age non student but went for what seemed like ages (might have been a year or so). DJ was a black guy called Conway(?), played a lot of Hendrix and Johnny Winter. Drank cold bottles of Newcy Brown from the bar.

BigAl

Re: Late 60s/early 70s UMIST rock disco on Saturday nights
« Reply #1 on: 08:59:04, 29/06/22 »
I went in the late 70s it was awful. Everbody supped snakebite which was half crap cider and half crap bitter? The idea makes me retch.

Ed

« Reply #2 on: 10:46:17, 29/06/22 »
Yes, I suspect I have memories of a brief golden era. At around that time I also used to go to discos at the University and Poly Student Unions. Back around the early 2010s I was briefly in Manchester and went to all three for a bit of nostalgia.

The UMIST Union was shut though still recognisable through the glass doors. The Poly Union now seemed to be an admin block and the Uni Union had changed out of all recognition; talking to a female undergraduate it had apparently fallen into  squalid disrepair and needed gutting to make it usable again.

Practically nothing of my childhood memories is still standing, schools gone, homes all gone, even the streets erased, childhood haunts no longer there...

Hideaway69

« Reply #3 on: 07:53:26, 30/06/22 »
Had many a good time at the Poly & Umist disco, as a non student you had to be signed in as a guest If I remember correctly the bar prices were subsidised, so it was also a cheap night out.
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

congcoll

« Reply #4 on: 16:15:36, 30/12/22 »
I think Conway's surname was Blackburn. Around 72/73 he was the Social Sec at UMIST. He also did a Tuesday heavy rock disco where he was very fond of playing Paranoid by Grand Funk Railroad which he declared to be "...better than that crap by Black Sabbath".[size=78%] [/size]