Author Topic: The Destruction of Moston  (Read 22546 times)

juliska

Re: The Destruction of Moston
« Reply #15 on: 16:10:51, 18/05/08 »
Have to say only just watched it. It paints a very bleak picture, especially all the boarded up houses, it's a pity he couldn't have filmed some of the nice houses(they do exist) where people do still take a pride in them. I can understand how people are annoyed who have lived in Moston for years, Moston Lane has changed, I don't really know what can be done about it

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 16:13:41, 18/05/08 »
Perhaps he'll come on to acknowledge that there  are nicer areas of Moston, it's a wonder you havn't recognized Arthur from his avatar :)
« Last Edit: 16:17:51, 18/05/08 by celeste »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

juliska

« Reply #17 on: 16:16:25, 18/05/08 »
No I'm afraid i don't know him. Does anybody know what is going to happen to the Ben Brierly Pub?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 16:27:37, 18/05/08 »
I don't sorry, perhaps Arthur or the Op can help

arthurchappell

« Reply #19 on: 16:46:33, 18/05/08 »
Not sure what the fate of the pub is - it's been in a sorry state for years  hope they reopen or usethe building for something  soon - It's the Museum Pub opposite thatwas alwaysthe worst - if that went few would be concerned. BB has some historic association with the poet though. He (and the pub) inspired my first succesful poem which I have had in print about five times now.

BEN BRIERLEY (1825-1896).

When I wrote my first dialect poem

The critics said ‘take more spelling lessons;

We think you’ve got dyslexia.’ Back home

I cried all night, and searched for the reasons

Behind Brierley’s success. Manchester’s

Famous ‘dyslexic’ poet, with an inn

Named after him, which sells beer to punters

Who know little of their poet’s rhymin’.

From his pub-sign, Ben’s pen swings in the wind,

As he dreams up one last verse; but there’s

No more dr(ink) for him .... I am determined

That one drunkard will think of him, so here’s

To you Ben. Di’lect’s lost on me, but cheers.

Arthur Chappell.

Arthur Chappell, writer,  Civil War Re-enactor, ex-cult member, socialite  http://arthurchappell.me.uk/

Facebook - http://profile.to/arthurchappell/

RAB

« Reply #20 on: 19:26:47, 18/05/08 »

HackMyNoons

« Reply #21 on: 16:20:37, 04/03/09 »
Its a shame whats happend to Moston, the council have let us down, but there wasn't much of a community, we we're an easy target, so we the people of Moston must also take the blame for its decline. The only community I see about the place is the Africans, maybe they'll be the people who'll make Moston a better place to live.

Losing Bill Risby is a blow for Moston, I used to chat with him in the Blue bell and he gave me a great helping hand  in my fight against the bus services ripping us off (esp. Bluebird).

The closing of the pubs is also another blow for the old community of Moston, as we now never rub shoulders and share our thoughts, which can lead to activism. We have become atomised and weak.

Maybe the people in the thread are the ones who can start activism in order to help Moston become a better place to live, and keep Manchester a nuclear free city as Risby did. (The 'Nuclear Free city' signs have all been taken down).

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 18:45:45, 04/03/09 »
If there are a lot of boarded up house that could be sold or let cheaply, couldn't they be offered to young people - as there don't seem to be enough council properties available?

HackMyNoons

« Reply #23 on: 22:09:06, 04/03/09 »
I think the boarded up houses in the film was the houses which were under CPO's (compulsory purchase orders), as house's are still selling well here according to www.ourproperty.co.uk.
I think the council purchased the house's just when their prices hit rock bottom (coincidence?).

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 22:23:32, 04/03/09 »
Wouldn't you know ::)

Mostonian

« Reply #25 on: 08:43:16, 24/03/09 »
Moston Martyr is a BNP supporter. The video is totally bogus, in that it shows boarded up houses that aren't even in Moston. Furthermore the houses were boarded up ahead of demolition to make way for newer housing stock.
Don't let the likes of Moston Martyr fool you. Make your vote count on April the 9th and don't let the Nazis into Moston. 

arthurchappell

« Reply #26 on: 10:24:46, 24/03/09 »
I agree entirely with Mostonian - the extent of the BNP campaigning for the impending council bi-election in Moston is disturbing - suffice to say they won't get my vote.
Arthur Chappell, writer,  Civil War Re-enactor, ex-cult member, socialite  http://arthurchappell.me.uk/

HackMyNoons

« Reply #27 on: 15:25:42, 24/03/09 »
I'm not sure if Moston Martyr is a BNP supporter. I think he's just presenting the facts in a hard hitting way. 
In his video he warns us and council leaders that the BNP are getting votes.
If the BNP get in then that will be the Destruction on Moston.

The council have failed us, but the community has also let Moston down, there was very few people attending the Moston meetings, and there hasn’t been a meeting this year, there isn’t a demand for it.

arthurchappell

« Reply #28 on: 15:34:11, 24/03/09 »
I'm not sure if Moston Martyr is a BNP supporter. I think he's just presenting the facts in a hard hitting way. 
In his video he warns us and council leaders that the BNP are getting votes.
If the BNP get in then that will be the Destruction on Moston.

The council have failed us, but the community has also let Moston down, there was very few people attending the Moston meetings, and there hasn’t been a meeting this year, there isn’t a demand for it.

Moston Meetings? Who runs those? Where and when?

HackMyNoons

« Reply #29 on: 15:51:15, 24/03/09 »
A lady in my street who's very close on council matters informs me about them, so I walk up with her. I think the last one I went to was in August/September last year. She and Bill Risby used to lock horns all the time about wheelie bins being left out, it was funny to see. There were many results gained, so they were worth going to.

I'll post on here if there’s another meeting. In fact, I’ll take some action and I'll get in touch this week and ask when the next one is, or ask for one.

The last one I went to informed us which houses are getting grants to be modernised. Mine isn’t. There were about 10 people in attendance, 6 residents I knew of and I think the others were Private landlords.