Author Topic: Underground Market, Manchester  (Read 60677 times)

Greengate Girl

Re: underground market
« Reply #30 on: 12:07:21, 02/08/12 »
 ;)  I used ti visit the underground market every lunchtime. I used to work
at Boot's when it was in the Royal Exchange, and went along Market Street
to pass the time. There were some great little shops and stalls in there. xxxx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

Jdbooth50

« Reply #31 on: 12:26:32, 02/08/12 »
I got a fabulous blouse there when I was 21. It was shirt style, with wide revers and in cream and black shiny 'silk' (nylon). I thought it was dead glamorous and wore it with a black skirt (very short) and a black jacket, made of polyester. The whole outfit must have cost about £1, but I thought it most sophisticated.

Greengate Girl

« Reply #32 on: 15:29:39, 02/08/12 »
 ;) I remember the feeling. The best place nowadays is the £1 shop  ::)  xx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

Jdbooth50

« Reply #33 on: 15:59:59, 02/08/12 »
Regular spender in the Poundshop. Fabulous gift bags, and contents. Pencils, notepads, bubbles, etc. Add afew home-made jars of jam, and one's guests are thrilled.

Beauregaurd

« Reply #34 on: 13:27:07, 19/08/12 »
The under ground market was a great place to wander and loose oneself. I spent ages in there but cant remember any gems I may have bought. Somewhere near by was a record store called "rare records", where I bought all my Mississippi Blues imports. In those days I probably surfed the streets looking for unusual shops when now we surf the net for unusual buys.

Wytchfynder

« Reply #35 on: 22:29:41, 16/09/12 »
The underground market was still going in the early 90s. down the steps or escalators off Market Street, on the right was a key cutting/shoe repair shop always seemed to be doing brisk business.
Beatties on ground level over the way, remember it well...Subbutteo Heaven  O0

Wytchfynder

« Reply #36 on: 01:13:59, 17/09/12 »
Just remembered another shop near Beatties, clothes shop for the disco trendies, Stolen From Ivor. gawd knows what the name meant

Mancgirl

« Reply #37 on: 13:50:28, 18/09/12 »
I would buy my Incense sticks from there. I seem to remember a leather coat stall.

MargaretB

« Reply #38 on: 15:09:27, 18/09/12 »
Could get good cheap handbags from there and it was a covered route between Market Street and Cross Street if it was raining!

andypandy123

« Reply #39 on: 20:44:31, 19/09/12 »
the stolen from ivor bags was supposed to be a joke that if someone spotted it , they should report them

charter

« Reply #40 on: 11:04:45, 28/09/12 »
I used to remember a record stall called Collectors Records - they had some obscure stuff there.
There used to be traffic on Market Street in those days.

This is a pic of the market entrance - the street was Brown Street off Market Street

andypandy123

« Reply #41 on: 12:35:23, 28/09/12 »
did the underground market get filled in when the arndale was built?...would be nice to know , new brown street opposite is just a memory now, used to link cannon street with market street.

Carl

« Reply #42 on: 12:37:47, 28/09/12 »
Somewhere near by was a record store called "rare records", where I bought all my Mississippi Blues imports.

There was a shop called Rare Records on John Dalton Street - I don't know if there were any others by the same name.  They eventually moved to a much smaller premises in Wilmslow.  I used to know the manager - a guy called Sid Scrivings (he was manager of the Wilmslow shop, but can't recall if he was manager of the Manchester store).  I spent many a happy day there.

andypandy123

« Reply #43 on: 16:15:50, 28/09/12 »
there used to be a rare records on corporation street in the 60s opposite the old cws building where the metrolink now crosses the road i think it was demolished to make way for the trams.bit of a scruffy shop

Jim44

« Reply #44 on: 17:43:03, 28/09/12 »
I remember Rare Records being in the Corn Exchange building. The entrance was on Fennel St, I don't think you could access it from inside the main hall.
 Was there an entrance to the underground market on Cross st; where Boots now stands? I used to walk through it ofton, but can't remember ever buying anything. Half the stalls seemed to be empty. Didn't it run under what is now Tesco's?