Author Topic: Underground Market, Manchester  (Read 60680 times)

Wytchfynder

Re: underground market
« Reply #45 on: 13:50:57, 29/09/12 »
Wasnt there 3 entrances/exits to the underground market? I can recall the entrance on market street, there was one on the side opposite Boots at street level.
I'm struggling to remember the other one, which I think was near Beatties toy shop and was up/down steps. I think there was a passport photo booth there, and that it was really shabby  near the steps.

Hideaway69

« Reply #46 on: 12:10:44, 30/09/12 »
There was an entrance on Brown Street , close to George Best Rogue iirc
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

MargaretB

« Reply #47 on: 14:52:06, 02/10/12 »
I seem to remember there were 3 entrances but can only really recall 2.  There was the main entrance near where Tesco is now and then you could go under those shops down towards Cross Street.  However, pretty sure you could also turn left once you went down the main steps - but I could be wrong about another exit.

Wytchfynder

« Reply #48 on: 18:05:20, 02/10/12 »
The 'mystery' 3rd entrance/exit has been bugging my feeble memory.
Here's what I offer for consideration:
1: Main entrance on Market Street with the stairs/elevators, and the one most people would remember I guess
2: Street level entrance on Brown Street virtually opposite the side entrance to Boots.
3: entrance/exit via stairs near Norfolk Street situated on the pavemented area between Beatties toy shop and  Spring Gardens post office.
I think Margarets right about there only being a left turn at the bottom of the stairs. That was where I recall the passport photo booth in that area and that part of the market being generally shabby and not many shops, most were empty.
Twas also where I found a fiver on the floor as a kid  O0

Torquay jules

Re: Underground Market, Manchester
« Reply #49 on: 10:36:09, 11/12/12 »
did you go there? which stalls did you frequent? Mine was Cockney Pauls the tattooist and Yvonnes record stall.
I had my first Saturday job on a clothes stall, can't remember the name of it but it was at the back.
We also used to wag school down there and hang out near cockney Paul's and the record stall which sold Northern soul. We used to chat to the Wigan lads with there big flares ha ha

Torquay jules

« Reply #50 on: 10:42:55, 11/12/12 »
Just remembered, we used to have our photos done every Saturday in the photo booth at the entrance, I was about 9 so it would have been 1973!

Thedogwalker

« Reply #51 on: 20:25:01, 11/12/12 »
Stolen from Ivor's best place to get your jeans from

Alan Deejay

« Reply #52 on: 21:12:34, 11/12/12 »
I used to love that place!
I used to buy bootleg cassettes of Joy Division gigs and tie dye shirts.
Happy memories!

:)

iansilv

« Reply #53 on: 23:47:49, 18/12/12 »
My dad had a unit in the Market Centre, called Sybil's.  :)

iansilv

« Reply #54 on: 23:57:24, 18/12/12 »
BTW, just joined this site, my dad left the Market Centre in the '70s, he sold crockery, china, household stuff, I think it was the Arndale being built, that was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

yollom

« Reply #55 on: 23:13:49, 28/01/13 »
Used to go there in my teens. It had all the best stores. Just above it was the crispy crunchy clothing company. Umberto worked there as i recall.

nickindroy

« Reply #56 on: 22:51:57, 29/01/13 »
Great place, used to go in there a lot in the early 80's, remember the record stall with all the covers/pic discs/coloured vinyl on the wall, also a stall with loads of school/sports bags hanging up on its entrance. The Pall Mall entrance now leads to an underground car park for the building above. Have a look on streetview, I would've  posted a link but wasn't allowed.  :(

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: 23:04:35, 29/01/13 »
Umberto worked there as i recall.
I'd be interested to know if Umberto is still on the radio O0
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

iansilv

« Reply #58 on: 08:38:31, 30/01/13 »
Umberto's not on the radio anymore.

helenholt

« Reply #59 on: 09:11:37, 03/02/13 »
hi i just joined the site. i worked on the clothes stall in the middle opposite a key cutting stall owned by two brothers and a shoe stall to the left.i was wondering if any one knows the year it shut down, i am intrested to know thanks  O0