Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 678111 times)

St Chads Lad

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1680 on: 16:53:27, 01/11/21 »
I have similar memories, was at Chads early to mid sixties, Keely was the head when I first arrived, face like a bulldog chewing a wasp  ;D  went to Sharp st by bus for dinner but a school kitchen was built a little way down the street behind the school later on, played football on Bent st shale pitch, Mr Saunders used to take us once a week.

Plumduff

« Reply #1681 on: 19:13:16, 01/11/21 »
I was at St Chads 1947 to 55 upon passing 11 plus went to St Gregory's so never had chance to taste St Chads senior boys and follow my older brother,I remember him telling me stories about his teacher in the seniors Mr Cox the boys nicknamed him slasher Cox but I never found out why.He was great friends with the Kilroy brothers and the Jacobs boys.My best mate at Chads was mickey Martin who's dad had a barrow stall selling fruit and veg in Cannon Street at least that's where I think it was.Does any one remember Maggie Nolan who lived in a terrace near the church the older boys used to go round there because she used to sell single Woodbine cigarettes for a penny then they would smoke them down near where the river Irk went under the tunnel beneath Victoria Station.Reckon I will have to rack my brains for more memories,so glad I found this forum.

taffyboynow

« Reply #1682 on: 20:49:02, 02/01/22 »
Hello Forum and thanks for having me....  Bit nostalgic as I approach my 75th b'day so decided to search for my roots, so to speak.  Born 'into' Fountain St, Cheetham Hill and have a few vague memories - we moved to Hall (now Hallworth Rd off Crescent Rd) in around 1950 before making the one-way journey to South Wales in 1953.  I do recall living next door to a pub (was it at the 'top' of Fountain St and was the St on a slope?) and riding down the hill on a scooter with my old mum.  Also visiting relatives in George St/Rd? across what seemed like a very busy and wide Cheetham Hill.  Better recollection of attending Crumpsall Lane Infants school for a short period (still have a class photo c. 1952 if anyone interested), playing in the park and poking around the dye works (with older lads!).  Would I have been at St Thomas Didymus nursery school or am I making that up?  Also the Whit Week church marches.  Took my wife to show her where I entered this world in about 1971 but Fountain St was just a big hole - is that where the Tesco is now?  If anyone can point me towards relevant archive photos/maps or have info, that would be great.  Thanks, regards and best wishes for 2022.  Mike 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy