Author Topic: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?  (Read 752744 times)

Tinyclanger

Re: Cheetham/Hill 1950s/60s?
« Reply #1650 on: 11:12:45, 16/10/20 »
PS. Just had to mention , as others have elsewhere on here, that I also remember Dr Lipworth. I'll have been very young when I was taken there. As a small kid, I still remember the echoing sound running through a "modern" pale brick-walled  walkway somewhere on the way in to the surgery.     

lozflan

« Reply #1651 on: 13:07:31, 16/10/20 »
Good stuff ,Tinyclanger.
I did the same with identical van,no seatbelts or childseats back then.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Collegiateboy

« Reply #1652 on: 12:38:10, 07/11/20 »

[color=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))][size=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-font-size, var(--yt-navbar-title-font-size, inherit))] I found this interesting video on  you tube about old Cheetham Hill , worth watching - Journey back in time - Manchester to Cheetham Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-DpCeGdsQ

specececo

« Reply #1653 on: 02:33:03, 06/12/20 »
Hello Denise
I think your
thread is wonderful.Nostalgia has its agonies though
But I love reading about the close and rich community you had.By the
the way my childhood was in Wythenshaw

As I read the thread it reminds me of A TASTE of Honey

Wonderful film-gritty and poetic.Shelagh  was a magician

I wondered if you felt the same way.I used to visit relat
ives in Bolton
and I always wondered what happened to Jo or Rita

Salford is a bleak slagheap now but it was a warm and vibrant
place as was Wythenshawe in the 60s

Best wishes

Mark

SalfordGed

« Reply #1654 on: 22:11:04, 21/01/21 »
I went to St Thomas of Canterbury school leaving in 1970 to go to St Peters Grammar. I lived on Craven St in what I thought was Salford 7, but after looking at electoral roles I discovered that the street was split in two and that the half I was in was Manchester 8. Our house was a typical 2up 2down with the toilet out the back. I remember that when we arrived home at night and turned the lights on you could see the cockroaches scatter. Strange but I still look back at that house with fondness.

Phantom123

« Reply #1655 on: 21:28:18, 30/01/21 »
Hi,
My mother, Irene was born in Egmont St in the 1920's My grandfather Arthur Hood was a policeman and when off duty used to drink in the The Woodlands. Does anyone have a picture of the pub, long gone now as I cannot find any details of it.
Thank You.

Spicer

« Reply #1656 on: 19:15:19, 12/02/21 »
My Grandparents (Mr and Mrs Kaye)  lived at number 12 Penrose Street Hightown until the houses were knocked down.   I remember two corner shops - one at the top of the street and one at the bottom of the street with the junction of Herbert Street.   Henry and Lina Peters owned the shop at the bottom of the street which was facing a factory called C & M Garments.   I remember a sweet shop on Herbert Street called Classics.  The neighbours were all very nice, I remember a Mrs Green, Clara Cornfield, Mrs Spicer, Betty and John Keogh, Mrs Ross, I also remember an Ice Cream van where I bought ice cream from called Serretti's.
Hi Jeff. I lived at 31 Penrose St. Mrs Spicer's son. Remember Classics so well. My favourite shop! Went to Temple school. Left the area when I was 6.  Live in the Bahamas now. Somewhat of a contrast to those early days in Hightown. Here's a pic...

Spicer

« Reply #1657 on: 19:17:32, 12/02/21 »
Here's a pic of my dad, Mr Spicer outside the house in 1952. He was so proud of his new van!

dandybear

« Reply #1658 on: 03:11:38, 17/03/21 »
Hi

dandybear

« Reply #1659 on: 03:12:51, 17/03/21 »
Hi, I just accidentally came across your message about the handbag place, Macben manufacturing. My dad was company director of this place, Unfortunately, he passed away this January. Bernard Perner was foreman and I knew most of the staff. I had to laugh when you mentioned the lift with lattice doors. My dad tried to be clever and go from the shop floor to the basement instead of using stairs (one floor). It was the weekend and he was the only one in the factory. Guess what, the lift got stuck half way. It was hours before I discovered him missing and found him there  ;D  The lift was not even meant for people, just for goods. I have good memories of this place and worked downstairs with Malcolm Hibbert, the main cutter. There was also a handbag warehouse on Cheetham Hill Rd called Cheetham Bag Company. If you have any further recollections of this place, I would love to hear it.
Daniel.

dandybear

« Reply #1660 on: 06:24:29, 17/03/21 »

lozflan

« Reply #1661 on: 09:09:03, 17/03/21 »
Aaaaah Cheetha Mill ,Land of the flying P Pots,as FooFoo might have said.

I can smell the Boneworks still.
Always be home,land of my Father. Could blather on,but could'nt get away quick enough.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Monica Collins

« Reply #1662 on: 14:47:36, 17/03/21 »
Hi i also went to ST Thomas of Canterbury and left in 1970. I remember Patrick Downing, John Buckley, Stephen Wilkes, Joseph OConnell who went to St Peters. The girls i was friendly with were Maria and Theresa Eigards they were of Ukranian heritage and twins.  Also Susan Keane who lived near the Robin Hood pub. Caroline McCabe, Marie Murray
Enjoy reading these pages  :)

SalfordGed

« Reply #1663 on: 22:21:59, 18/03/21 »
Hi Monica. I remember John Buckley, Stephen Wilkes and the Eigard twins. I sat next to Teresa at school. She was a nice girl with a pleasant nature. I seem to remember the twins winning a large Easter egg at school. I also remember you. As I remember you were quite tall but not quite as tall as Julie Harrison. I hope the intervening 50 years or so have been kind to you. Which secondary school did you go to?

Monica Collins

« Reply #1664 on: 10:44:08, 14/04/21 »
I remember a Gerald Tierney ?  I went to St Josephs High School in Longsight. Is St Thomas's still there?