Author Topic: cheetham hill and ice cream makers  (Read 16658 times)

OllieWichery1

Re: cheetham hill and ice cream makers
« Reply #30 on: 20:18:12, 30/06/15 »
What a wonderful surprise finding the family of Joe Seretti, I knew your mum Rita and your Aunty Margaret. Gosh I am absolutely delighted to have someone talking about Joe, my special friend.  :smitten:

Glamourjunkie

« Reply #31 on: 15:33:36, 20/06/18 »
I remember Mark and I think his sister was/is Janet.  He recognised me on Thatch Leach Lane shortly after we moved to Whitefield.  Like other people posting, I remember that unmatched, delicious taste of my childhood.

miss elaine ious

« Reply #32 on: 14:48:29, 12/05/20 »
ok so have found this 9  years late cos i was trying to find a picture of a Seretti van from 1960s. i actually loved their vimto ice lollies! (made by them and full of vimto)  my grandpa loved the brown twist- dark wafer cornet. a special treat was a 99 with a flake. The van would stop on Bishop's Road off Scholes Lane. Sweet memories. I much preferred their ice cream to Mr Whippy who came later. Anyone have a photo of the ice cream van? :)

MikeH

« Reply #33 on: 18:40:35, 16/05/20 »
ok so have found this 9  years late cos i was trying to find a picture of a Seretti van from 1960s. i actually loved their vimto ice lollies! (made by them and full of vimto)  my grandpa loved the brown twist- dark wafer cornet. a special treat was a 99 with a flake. The van would stop on Bishop's Road off Scholes Lane. Sweet memories. I much preferred their ice cream to Mr Whippy who came later. Anyone have a photo of the ice cream van? :)

Mark (the original poster of this thread) is my uncle. I'll ask my dad if he has pictures :)

MikeH

« Reply #34 on: 18:41:47, 16/05/20 »
Hello Mark , its quite a few years since you posted about your grandads Ice cream shop on Garnett Street, but I have only just joined and spotted your message .. Hopefully you may still be a member and see this post ..
I used to babysit you and your sister Janet and brother Michael about 50 years ago when I was about 14, I wasn't that much older than your Michael but Rita trusted me with you when you were a baby .... I knew your Mum Rita and Dad Louis very well and Margaret and her husband who later sold Burgers and Bacon Balms on Salford market from the Ice cream Van .... I also remember your grandparents ..
 I was always on Garnett Street after school as my mam worked first at Hiltons Greengrocers  then at Westons ladies and childrens wear shop .. I loved to listen to the gossip of the customers and even helped out serving at busy times ... 
I once got told off by your Dad when he saw me in the Egerton Pub at the back of Chiltons Dance Hall up Cheetham Hill when I was about 16, even though  I only used to have a pineapple juice, your Mum said he was very strict about underage drinkers and would have told my mam if he had seen me in there again , I wouldn't mind but I was engaged to my now husband who was 20 and there was never anybody in the snug where we could sit and snuggle up on the cold winter nights when Chiltons wasn't open for modern dance.. For teenagers it was open Sunday Wednesday and Fridays ,the other nights were ballroom and latin which I regret not going to now as when we did start classes in our 30s it was much harder to learn ...
 Hope you catch this message at some time ...Regards  Margaret

Apologies for the post 6 years after your reply! My dad is Michael so I will show him this post.