Author Topic: Chester Street School Ardwick and Almonds Bakery Higher Ardwick  (Read 9312 times)

Jkaar

Hi,
Does anyone have any information about Chester Street School in Ardwick,
my grandad went there in the 19290's, I would like to know how old he would
have been when he left, and what age would he have been when he was in
Standard IV. Any information about the school at that time would be great.
Also, Almonds Bakery, he worked there as a delivery boy, later becoming a
Baker, sadly, once again I have no information on the place, a picture would
be amazing - again any information would be appreciated.
Happy Hunting.

bez

what was your grandfathers name i will look if that school is on the site

Jkaar

Hi Bez.
My grandad was called John Fearnley, he was born in 1910,
any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeannette

bez

hello i found the charter street school records but unfortunattly they only went up to 1912 your gradfather wouuldnt be at school then

i allso looked for almond bakerys couldnt get anything  sorry about that bez

Jkaar

No worries Bez - thats the nature of the beast as we all know. :-\

Thanks very much for looking thought - much appreciated.

Jeannette

migky

hello i found the charter street school records but unfortunately they only went up to 1912 your gradfather wouldn't be at school then
 Bez

Charter street school was the "Ragged school " which still stands and you might try looking at greater Manchester county records office as they hold sunday school attendace record books right up to the 1930/40's. The books are not on line and you have to make an appointment to view them. They make for good reading and don't only contain who & when the children attended  but some sad little tails are hidden in many of them. The ragged school is still standing and is still in use today but not in the same capacity.

Charter street is not Chester street school.

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

Jim44

Hi,
Does anyone have any information about Chester Street School in Ardwick,
my grandad went there in the 19290's, I would like to know how old he would
have been when he left, and what age would he have been when he was in
Standard IV. Any information about the school at that time would be great.
Also, Almonds Bakery, he worked there as a delivery boy, later becoming a
Baker, sadly, once again I have no information on the place, a picture would
be amazing - again any information would be appreciated.
Happy Hunting.
Hi Jkaar,
 Thats a bit strange, I was looking for a photo of Almonds Bakery when I found this forum.
Can't tell you much about Chester St; It was a non denimination Victorian type building located on Tempest St, off Midland St. Which ran from Chancery Lane to Ashton Old Rd; All I remember is that it had an after school play centre where they played games and had loads of comics. It was open to all children.

Almonds Bakery was on Higher Ardwick, facing Smith St. It wasn't a big Bakery but the front was a big detatched white house with a garden at the front, it was possible a manor house at one time. The vans used to go in down one side and out the other. On the front was a big clock, but inplace of numbers it had letters spelling 'Almonds bread'.
Back to your granddad: The school I went to had infants, juniors and seniors, so taking standard as seniors he would probably be in the top class, and in them days they left at aged 14, sometimes even 13.
 Not sure of web address, but maybe manchester.gov/archive. you may get a photo of the school. Sorry I can't help more.
Jim.

Jkaar

Jim,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post.
Your reply has been a great help, thats the most information
that I have on Almonds, although I have recently found out
that up until 1930 they were located on Caistor St, which
was in between Stockport rd and Plymouth Grove, they then
moved to Higher Ardwick, but up until now I didn't know where.
Ultimately Mothers Pride bought them out and were relocated
to Sharston.
Thanks again
Jeannette

Alex

Chester Street School was a fork off Midland Street Ardwick it was 50 yards from Ashton Old Rd . Where the road forked was Midland St to the right and Chester St to the left . In between the fork was Chesters Brewery . Almonds Bakery was a 5 minute walk from Chester Street. It is correct that the Bakery moved to Swinton Grove near MRI and became a lot bigger when taken over. My father worked there for approximately 10 years in the 50’s

celtictony

Hi Jkaar, I know that this reply is a lot of years late. I went to chester street school as an infant, probably around 1956(I  was born in 1951), the only thing I remember, is making Christmas paper chains from crepe paper. There was also a brewery on Chester Street( Chesters Brewery), I used to love the smell of the hops as we passed in the mornings and the warm air that came from it on cold mornings. As for Almonds bakery, we lived in Peel avenue which was just across the road, 2 streets down from smith street which was opposite the bakery. I especially remember the clock with letters instead of numbers although I couldn't tell the time at that age. Sorry that's all i can tell you. Regards. Anthony Smith.
« Last Edit: 19:52:32, 30/11/20 by celtictony »

Anne-Marie Lewis

Hello there, we lived in Buxworth Street, off Higher Ardwick, and I remember Almond’s Bakery and the big clock on the front of the big white house. My brother, John, and his friend, Anthony Scanlan, were dragged to our front door by the local policeman, who had caught them playing on the corrugated roof of the bakery! John was 7 years old (1959) and the policeman watched as my Dad gave my brother a several smacks around his head, and a beating on his bottom! I remember that there was a lot of asbestos on that roof, although I had no idea what it was, when I was nine years old 😕

celtictony

Hello, I just spotted your post and noticed that you mentioned Anthony Scanlon, he was also my friend for years as a kid, we lived on Peel ave and he lived in Cyclist st or Jerald st, there was also Johny Harris and his brother Graham, but he was older than us. What is your family name, I might know your brother. did you also know a Peter Palmer and Vincent Darby. You might have known my sisters Valerie and Angela Smith.