Author Topic: Yuppies/posh people in Manchester  (Read 22041 times)

Mini

Re: Yuppies/posh people in Manchester
« Reply #15 on: 19:19:37, 22/01/12 »
Sadly I feel the same way as the OP, I try not to let it bother me. But day after day taking my little one to and from school, I used to say 'good morning', or 'hello' with a smile in the afternoon stints. No more, I am sick of being ignored and stone walled. I know these folk aren't Mancunians, as when they are with 'acceptable' people, they will chatter away like a bunch of wild starlings.

I don't know how I am not acceptable to pass a mere 'good morning' or good afternoon to, on the way to the school that their children attend alongside my own? I'm not sure of this new etiquette, maybe I am a 'thick Northerner' with a crap accent after all?

I know I am being a bit literal, but I just wrote a really long, well thought out and meaningful post, for it to vanish into the ether. And it got up my nose, a lot. So much so I started a sentence with an 'and'.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 19:28:18, 22/01/12 »
Whereabouts are you Mini?  Sorry to hear about these ignorant people they must have had a strange upbringing, don't waste your time on them ;)

I've looked to see if your post went in the recycle bin but it's not there so hasn't been removed by Chris or myself, sometimes posts disappear suddenly if the wrong key is pressed and that has happened to me a few times, so frustrating when you can only recall half of what you said, keep posting :)
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Mini

« Reply #17 on: 20:28:20, 22/01/12 »

Hello Celeste! I think it was a wrong key thing on my part. Shame it was an impassioned post, and not at all Northern and ignorant of change etc, quite the opposite.

I do find though that my accent is s tumbling block for quite a few. I have an awful lot of friends I visit on a regular basis in London. One of these girls is wonderfully intelligent, I love to get her laughing, she is so intelligent and her humor so' refined' you might say, its a treat to hear her give a real belly laugh! She is very high up in banking.

She has in the past shamefacedly admitted, that until she got to know me properly, she thought I was quite coarse and pretty thick. All down to my accent. It takes her a while when we first meet, of chit chatting for her to overcome, get used to and not notice my accent, then we seem to be on a level playing field where she stops 'over explaining' things. I find her over explaining quite charming, she is bothered enough by what I think to make sure I 'get it', ten minutes into chatting, all thats aside and we chat all things economic, political and then as by way of total contrast, handbags.

My friends often smile at my Northern warmth while I am in London, and that I will chat to anyone, selling a newspaper or when I say thank you for getting directions on the Underground etc, its something they never do.

Its a shame, but I am finding that warmth and friendly attitude being disregarded here in my home city. I know I am generalizing quite wildly, and any Southerners reading this will probably be spitting in fury at the audacity of a 'thick ignorant Northerner knowing no better than to tar everyone with the same brush', that may be so.

I am no idiot though, and from the amount of time I have been here  (Chorlton by the way, I do apologise, I should have led in with that, it may make sense to other parts of my post) I have noticed a definate shift in general manners and friendliness on a street level.

Many years ago, Chorlton had a fantastic bonhomie, it was full of students, musicians, artists and really interesting folk. Its being replaced, or so it seems, by a new influx of people who seem to neither know or care about anyone around them. They purchase house's in 'the right place'....this I hasten to add is by no means a bad thing, they are saving sometimes long suffering big old beautiful properties from neglect when once they were flats or shared houses that by their nature aren't brilliantly cared for. But it seems like they don't much care for the Mancunians around them...forgive me for my wild generalising again.

I have seen the same look as my friend used to give me, when we first met and she had me pegged as a thick Northerner, but its here in my home town, and it bothers me. I am not what you would say overly 'Manc' in my dialect or enunciation, but when I call to my little one racing off down the road coming out of school, I get the most awful looks from the same people I know are Southerners from when I here them chatting to fellow Southerners. Yet when their child runs off and they call down the road, no-one gives them derisive looks. Maybe its because the way they enunciate 'come here you'll get run over' sounds so much more palatable?

I hate to have made these observations, and most of all let them bother me enough to bother typing it all out. I know there are great Southerners, and change has to happen if Manchester is to stay a vibrant and vital city. That is a totally accepted given. Welcomed in fact. Its just this (forgive my generalising again) attitude of 'don't make eye contact, don't engage, don't get involved' that is so Southern is so sad to see. I see that 'don't engage, don't make eye contact' all over London, so I know it when I see it, its not unfamiliar.

Would it really kill people to just say a non committal 'good morning' or 'hello' and exchange a smile without looking like they have been slapped or had their personal space violated somehow? On that last point, I kid you not. I hasten to add I am no bruiser of a bloke, merely a 5'5'' slim woman who walks their child to and from school. How does that appearance warrant warrant repeated ignorance and unfriendliness, in my home town?

Cupcake

« Reply #18 on: 20:34:26, 22/01/12 »
Snobbery like that exists everywhere.  When I used to collect my nephew from his school, the cliques and the divisions at the school gate were just vile.  I don't care who lives where or who earns what or who pays rent to the council, so I would greet anyone I knew by name and smile at anyone else.  I got thoroughly blanked by people who had known me for decades because they couldn't be seen talking to me if I'd talked to Mrs Suchabody first.  ::)   

Honestly, Mini, it's not personal and it's not you.  They're a bunch of pretentious twerps desperately trying to impress one another.  So busy trying to make sure they never slip up that they never have any fun.  Once I worked it out, I took great delight in standing with the socially unacceptable mothers and then calling out greetings and waving at the posh mummies.   >:D 
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

Mini

« Reply #19 on: 20:46:27, 22/01/12 »
Cupcake, already I think you are wonderful!  :smitten:

I know its not personal, and its something I should really ignore. I remember Chorlton when it was such a fun place to be, and it's so sad to see that the type's who are drawn to that, are slowly wiping it out by being so insular. I am generalising again I know, shame on me.

Lol, I do stand with the other 'reprobate' mums now, I have given up trying to be 'warm, friendly and Northern' in my home town. Sad really, as I'm not an unintelligent or idiotic character. I'm just judged on my accent which is Northern. Ah well, their loss as they say. Seems so sad to have to say that in this supposed age of being multi cultural and enlightened etc. Seems such a biased thing to say, their loss.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 20:52:20, 22/01/12 »
Quote Mini:

Would it really kill people to just say a non committal 'good morning' or 'hello' and exchange a smile without looking like they have been slapped or had their personal space violated somehow? On that last point, I kid you not. I hasten to add I am no bruiser of a bloke, merely a 5'5'' slim woman who walks their child to and from school. How does that appearance warrant warrant repeated ignorance and unfriendliness, in my home town?

I spent a short time in one City and was quite taken aback by the number of people who said 'Good Morning' to me, of course I replied in kind but maybe these people are not expecting it and feel awkward about responding - as I said, never mind them, soldier on and sooner or later you will find friends who are like-minded - I have never minded standing out from the crowd, don't let anyone destroy your confidence :)

Mini

« Reply #21 on: 20:58:43, 22/01/12 »
That is so true Celeste, it's just is saddens me to change the behavior that I have known all my life, and that I was passing to my youngster as a good polite thing to do, to not bothering anymore.

Its a shame people or getting more in the main who are uncomfortable with friendliness, than those who can pass a quick greeting without feeling threatened by it.

Mini

« Reply #22 on: 21:02:59, 22/01/12 »
Hmm, my laptop is playing up and the cursor is jumping about doing odd things, my sentences are not really that coherent in my last post, I meant to say

Its shame its getting to be more in the main, that people are becoming uncomfortable with friendliness, than those who can pass a quick greeting and not feel threatened in some way by it.

Maybe its bedtime? LOL!! I am tired, so I am not watching the screen quite so avidly and catching the cursor doing decidedly odd stuff. Back to the repair shop for this laptop I think!

wordswords

« Reply #23 on: 21:04:44, 22/01/12 »
I quite like posh but you cannot judge people by their accents, wait till you have been here a few months  ;D

I know a lot of BBC peeps don't want to move to Manchester and it's more about the upheaval and their families I would think :-\

btw Daniel Craig has a very 'posh' accent and he is from Cheshire, have you heard of the Cheshire 'Jet Set' ?

I have been here since June. I personally don't like posh people. My point was that Manchester is a lot less 'posh' than London and the south east - I think Manchester has got it good :)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 21:09:27, 22/01/12 »
Hmm, my laptop is playing up and the cursor is jumping about doing odd things, my sentences are not really that coherent in my last post, I meant to say

Its shame its getting to be more in the main, that people are becoming uncomfortable with friendliness, than those who can pass a quick greeting and not feel threatened in some way by it.

Maybe its bedtime? LOL!! I am tired, so I am not watching the screen quite so avidly and catching the cursor doing decidedly odd stuff. Back to the repair shop for this laptop I think!

It's a waste of time trying to change some people, they may mistake your politeness for superiority and feel inferior, let them make the first greeting or arrive just in time to take your child through the gates and just in time to collect her so avoiding them - don't change your personality to suit them whatever you do

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 21:12:59, 22/01/12 »
I have been here since June. I personally don't like posh people. My point was that Manchester is a lot less 'posh' than London and the south east - I think Manchester has got it good :)

Manchester is ok and I'm in London every year and find it very friendly too, people can't help being 'posh' it's if they are lacking in manners or behave in a superior way which I would find tiresome

sheilanz

« Reply #26 on: 22:00:53, 22/01/12 »

Have lived here in NZ for 41 years and still have a Brummie accent.....However if folks dont like it they can lump it..

Its me and how I,m staying.
Holiday back home some years ago,walking from Mums said
Good Morning to this couple, well from the look on their faces
I had just offer myself on a plate to the bloke..

Did,nt cos he was older than me and thats saying something.. :D ;D ;D

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 22:12:14, 22/01/12 »
LOL Sheila would like to have seen that :2funny:

Sometimes they have that 'caught in the headlights' look

dscross

« Reply #28 on: 09:40:44, 23/01/12 »
I totally know what you mean. Manchester is a wannabe London now. All seems a bit pretentious.

Depends where you drink though.

Mini

« Reply #29 on: 10:07:09, 23/01/12 »
quote author=wordswords link=topic=6676.msg109707#msg109707 date=1327266284]
##Wordswords, I hope you are finding it good here in Manchester? Big upheaval for you I have to say! I hope you continue to enjoy it here! It really is a lovely city!
I know Manchester is 'less posh' than London, my point is that there seems to be an influx of people who are posh, (I really have nothing against posh people per se) and are seemingly pretty ignorant in their mannerisms and outward behaviour. I may be being incredibly unkind, and it may be that these people are just a product of coming from somewhere that is far busier and no time is spared for idle pleasantries, so they aren't that familiar with it and choose to ignore it.
My little girl went to a dance class with another little girl whose mother I see every day, twice a day going to and from the same school. I know this paticular lady is a Southerner, I spoke to her at the dance lessons and said 'hello, nice to see you here, your little girl goes to the same school, nice to meet you!' by way of introduction, her little girl had obviously been going ages and they both knew others there, I knew no-one, so I thought I would make a small and non-commital introduction so I wouldn't feel so 'out there' as you do when you do something new.
After that brief hello, I was ignored while she went off to sit with others she knew. I didn't force the issue, I didn't want to be pushy or a pain in the ass etc. Anyway, next time I saw her in the morning on the way to school, I said hello, and got a pretty short and forced hello back. I saw her again in the afternoon, and said hello again. Thinking if I just kept it at hello and made it obvious I wasn't the type to force myself uninvited on anyone, she would relax. Not so. My little girl eventually decided dancing wasn't for her, but long before that the hello's stopped, everyday I see this woman on the way to and from school and she pointedly looks the other way and makes every effort not to say hello.
I wish this was a single case, but it isn't. I do speak to other mums who I get along well with, and as time has passed more and more have admitted and made remarks about this same sort of thing they have also come across.
I have to point out at this juncture, I am aware of personal space, not being overly friendly as it can come off as being threatening in a way etc and so on, I never do (or did) say more than a quick hello and smile to acknowledge the existance of people I see every single day, twice a day in school term time. Fellow Mancunians have no problem whatsoever with it, and I often get back a great smile and hello back. We carry on walking, no commitment has been made to suddenly have to embrace this person into our life and make time for them or any of that sort of thing, its merely taken at face value for what it is, a friendly greeting. I know I generalise saying its mostyly Southerners, there do seem to be a lot moving into Chorlton and Didsbury, but it just seems in general there seems to be a massive decline in just saying hello to each other without it being veiwed as some massive faux pas.
Maybe I'm just not recognising times are changing and being a bit of a fossil? I am open to being told I am wrong, and accept any perfectly valid answer as to why I'm being a bit tiresome over this subject.
As I said, change I am all for, but sometimes it just feels like its not a good thing even though economically and financially its the very best thing to stop an area going into decline.
Anyway, enough from me, I don't want people to think I am somehow averse to change and new people being here, I really don't mind. Its just watching something so nice that cost nothing slip away. Its pretty painful in all actuality.