Author Topic: 70's / 80's clubs....  (Read 191332 times)

Ginga

70's / 80's clubs....
« on: 15:06:29, 05/11/05 »
Romanoffs on Oxford Road (The old Gaumont cinema?).
Placemate7 (near Piccadilly Station?).
Jilly's (was that the one across from Romanoff???).

But here my question. There was a club (heavy metal) in a basement of property in a side street of Dantzic Street.....total nutcase joint...anyone remember its name? Cos I dont  :-\

Christopher

Re: 70's / 80's clubs....
« Reply #1 on: 06:10:28, 21/11/07 »
Hi Ginga,

Do you have a MySpace page with a large number of friends? If you have then why not post a bulletin in the hope that someone into heavy metal in Manchester spots your query?

Christopher   

Ian

« Reply #2 on: 13:43:51, 25/04/08 »
Wasn't it called Waves

toddy

« Reply #3 on: 14:46:27, 11/08/08 »
romanoffs became  Rotters
jillys was downstairs at first, upstairs was called Rafters,later Fagins

jillys took over upstairs to become rockworld, and now only has upstairs,  the musicbox is now below

also Pips in fennel st, the biggest club or at least most  well known due to adds on tv
Internet rock radio station
packmoose radio

toddy

« Reply #4 on: 14:54:42, 11/08/08 »
rock clubs,

these are the ones i either know or went to,

jillys

Henrys, later renamed  the Banshee (wednesday night) , this was next block to the odeon and got burned down( was an amusement arcade nat some point)

swinging Sparron, i never went there but supposed to be rock music, near mancs uni

Umist  had a saturday night rock disco back in the 80s,

there was alos one above john brown wheels at the uni precint,  cant remeber its name

although im from prestwich  i went to bolton rock/bike pubs and clubs mostly, i only went to mancs saturday nites, or wednesdays at the banshee.

any other bike rock stuff ask

packmoose radio

Lorna

« Reply #5 on: 07:36:25, 26/08/08 »
Heroes, Cellar Vie, Pips, Jilly's, Rotters, Tropicana, Papa's. Many a good night out had in all. And if you're looking for clubs slightly further afield but still fall under the Manchester banner then Blues and Shades (stalybridge and Ashton) and Smokeys (Oldham)

Ginga

« Reply #6 on: 10:25:49, 09/10/08 »
rock clubs,

these are the ones i either know or went to,

.............. swinging Sparron, i never went there but supposed to be rock music, near mancs uni

Umist  had a saturday night rock disco back in the 80s,

there was alos one above john brown wheels at the uni precint,  cant remeber its name

Swinging Sporran ... only went there once... got smacked square on in the face by some drunk  :(

Place above JB Wheels?  Wasnt that the Phoenix ? Spent many a lunchtime there  :o

toddy

« Reply #7 on: 14:57:44, 09/10/08 »
pheonix thats it,,

jillys was my main one every saturday nite,

all the rest were in bolton i went to
packmoose radio

Roadgiant

« Reply #8 on: 20:51:39, 28/10/08 »
I used to go to and work at several of the rock clubs named above, I worked as  DJ at
the original Jilly's (near Piccadilly Station) Henry's, and the new Jilly's as well as several other venues.
 Does anybody else remember The Hardrock on Great Stone Rd, Stretford (now  B & Q Stretford) which was a major concert venue in the early 70's, I saw Led Zeppelin there in 1972.
 If any one is old enough to remember Stoneground in Gorton which was a rock venue in Gorton in the early 70's there is now a website dedicated to the club and a facebook group has just been set up.

phil

« Reply #9 on: 15:03:12, 22/02/09 »
I think the nutjob rockclub was called waves ;D

Stolen Dreams

« Reply #10 on: 11:52:56, 17/04/09 »
There was also the Cyprus tavern which was my haunt in the day
Did you have a good life?

phil

« Reply #11 on: 12:57:55, 17/04/09 »
i remember the cyprus but didn't go do u remember a bikers pub under the bridge comin into town just after strangeways nick.

DegenerateApe

« Reply #12 on: 16:33:13, 02/08/09 »
I remember a club called Cagney's on Oldham Rd, Miles Platting which became The Thunderdome in '89 but was quickly shut down due to the shooting of a doorman & various drug issues. The building is still there but has been derelict ever since - it's just up the road from Gunson St flats on the opposite side.

Spiritinthesky

« Reply #13 on: 21:26:29, 30/09/09 »
I used to go to Raffters, Cellar Vie, The Cyprus Tavern, Pips, Jilly's...Band on The Wall

king of clubs

« Reply #14 on: 23:52:42, 04/10/09 »
how about charlies near the underground market rough as anything. also gennevieves, the golden gate near the oxford road station, smarties and fagins