Author Topic: 70's / 80's clubs....  (Read 191340 times)

katie

Re: 70's / 80's clubs....
« Reply #15 on: 17:07:21, 20/10/09 »
are you thinking of...Aunty's Kitchen?! How come none of you mentioned the best place around at the time! Entry was 50p & you got a slap up meal! Hardrock in Stretford had some amazing acts - saw a load of them from Led Zep to Melanie! think I also saw Zep at Belle Vue??Gosh - is it that long ago?!
Never give up!! Never grow 'old'!!

king of clubs

« Reply #16 on: 21:25:24, 20/10/09 »
charlies was 20 pence admission and the clientele was like a circus, but great for a laugh.

king of clubs

« Reply #17 on: 21:28:06, 20/10/09 »
belle vue was fantastic i saw many great acts there including rod stewart. the hardrock was great too. old rockers never die......just fizzle out lol

Robroy

« Reply #18 on: 09:59:23, 30/10/09 »
Unless I have missed it in the thread I am surprised no one has mentioned the Continental or Conti as it was affectionately known as.

The old one on Oxford Rd opposite the Palace and the New one Off Princess St.
« Last Edit: 10:03:33, 30/10/09 by Robroy »

Edtheball

« Reply #19 on: 13:57:12, 24/03/10 »
how about charlies near the underground market rough as anything. also gennevieves, the golden gate near the oxford road station, smarties and fagins
Oh yes - Charlie's Mini-Club.

When I was around 19, '74-ish, I was in on a Saturday afternoon session - the pubs closed from 15.00-17.30 - with a pal, and we were hammered.

At around 4.30pm, we were joined, at our table, by two, what we thought, were 'ladies of the night'. Well, why not, everyone has to earn a living and we bought them a drink. Now, at this point, I have to say the place was very dark...

Anyway, nothing untoward happened and, as the pubs were due to re-open, we made our excuses (and yes, I have worked for a newspaper (vbg)), and were about to leave.

One of the 'ladies' said to my pal that it was her 'sister's' birthday - could she have a kiss. He obliged and, she 'puckered-up' for me to do the same... then I saw the 'sister' had a five-o'-clock shadow and they were, in fact, a couple of transvestites who had obviously been out on the lash for some time. Needless to say, we exited.

But, as we left, one of the regulars, opening the door to the street, said it was the best laugh they had had for ages, and not to wait to dish out any form of retribution, as the 'ladies' had many friends in the club.

I can laugh now, but as mere youths, my mate and I kept very quiet about it - oh, happy days.  (g)

king of clubs

« Reply #20 on: 00:24:06, 25/03/10 »
Oh yes - Charlie's Mini-Club.
 edtheball  i believe you 100% i saw similar goings on there and also got many propositions off what can only be described as very old obese women who fancied a bit of 17  i.e me, luckily i was pretty nimble on my toes and sauntered away rapidly leaving my mates falling over laughing. but all in all the clientele were pretty amiable and as i recall was frequented by quite a few dwarfs who when we got to know them were great company and were always up for a laugh. i can still recall a woman of about 20 stone and a dwarf doing a rendition of  "your the one that i want "  as john Travolta and Olivia newton john across the dance floor.i wish mobile phones were available then to record it. happy days.

king of clubs

« Reply #21 on: 00:29:49, 25/03/10 »
yes i forgot the continentals, i only went in a few times but they always seemed packed when we went. what about kloisters that was a spit and sawdust job and i recall the hot dogs and chips for sale in a tray to go with the lousy ale it sold yuk

Edtheball

« Reply #22 on: 11:08:42, 25/03/10 »
We must have past each other going in - or getting thrown out of - those places. :D

Golden Gate. Oxford Rd station approach... class 'A' gaffe.

My old man - a Daily Express man - knew all the dodgy clubs, and he said that this one was haunted by an assortment of 'hooks, crooks and comic singers'. And after going in a few times - God, we must have been desperate - I knew what he meant.

Genevieves: your feet stuck to the 'carpet' and there was always a queue snaking to the gents. Many didn't bother, and you could see fellas, stood at the bar getting served cheap, watered-down spirits, having a crafty pee while waiting. Classy. (I used to drink Pernod, as I was told 'they' couldn't water it down.) :-\

I even remember it in a previous incarnation as 'Oceans 11', with strippers and punch-ups every weekend.

Did them all (clubs) in the Seventies - up to  around 1974, then started to get a bit fussy. ;D

Where was 'Smarties' - that's one I don't know?

Tracey

« Reply #23 on: 21:24:35, 22/04/10 »
Dug these from deep within a corner of the memory:-

Strawberry's, Maxwells, Brahms & Litze!!! Loved Fagin's

One off Stevenson Square - had to go downstairs to it - name escapes me on that one.

Further afield

Charmers (v. dodgy) in Miles Platting, Tudor Lodge in Blackley, the Lantern in Newton Heath

king of clubs

« Reply #24 on: 21:01:54, 23/04/10 »
hi ed the ball smarties took over tramps when it re opened...plenty of nice ankle on display too lol

king of clubs

« Reply #25 on: 21:04:37, 23/04/10 »
my brother and his mates used to go to oceans 11 it sounded pretty choice,,i used to go when it was genevieves and had great laughs there but it was definately sticky feet time especially near the round bar. im sure it was done to stop us running away from the rougher birds when the slow one was played just before closing.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 21:11:12, 23/04/10 »
Bredbury Hall

Valley Lodge Wilmslow
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edtheball

« Reply #27 on: 15:45:04, 24/04/10 »
Bredbury Hall

Valley Lodge Wilmslow
Celeste - if the car park in those two places could only speak...
That said, I'm too much of gentleman(!) to describe my exploits in the back of everything, from a Mini to a Jag, in those places.

I seem to recall Thursday being a particularly good (ahem) 'grab-a-granny' night at the VL, around 1978-82. ;)

Had a pal booked, for five days, into the hotel at Bredbury Hall back in the late '80s - he thought it was his birthday. ::)

Now, Sandpipers, anyone?   :)

Edtheball

« Reply #28 on: 15:46:24, 24/04/10 »
my brother and his mates used to go to oceans 11 it sounded pretty choice,,i used to go when it was genevieves and had great laughs there but it was definately sticky feet time especially near the round bar. im sure it was done to stop us running away from the rougher birds when the slow one was played just before closing.
I bet you never ran too fast though - I never. :D

Edtheball

« Reply #29 on: 15:49:41, 24/04/10 »
Dug these from deep within a corner of the memory:-

Strawberry's, Maxwells, Brahms & Litze!!! Loved Fagin's

One off Stevenson Square - had to go downstairs to it - name escapes me on that one.

Further afield

Charmers (v. dodgy) in Miles Platting, Tudor Lodge in Blackley, the Lantern in Newton Heath
Brahms and Liszt was good - leather sofas when they opened - and good music.

Is it still there?

Maxwells - piano(!) bar off Deansgate? (Used to go there - we got in for nothing - when I did a Saturday night shift on the 'People'.) Happy days. O0