Author Topic: 70's / 80's clubs....  (Read 191321 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: 70's / 80's clubs....
« Reply #30 on: 22:34:19, 24/04/10 »

Now, Sandpipers, anyone?   :)

Tell me about Sandpipers
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edtheball

« Reply #31 on: 15:57:56, 25/04/10 »

Tell me about Sandpipers
Near the junction of Wilmslow Road/Wilbraham Road, Fallowfield.

I recall it opening around 1978/9, and it was a members-only, disco/restaurant and (initially) relatively expensive.

A haunt for a while of footballers and their hangers-on, it was really quite a decent place.

I went in as a guest just after it opened, and was 'encouraged to join'. (Long time ago, but I think it was 'join or we won't let you in as a guest when we're busy', sort of thing. ??? )  I lived fairly locally, so it was good for sauntering home 'tired and emotional' ;)  without the need for taxis etc.

On two levels - a ground floor public bar, which could get very, very busy - and the upstairs club.

It was fitted out like an aircraft, with airline seats and seatbelts(!), and quite 'plush'.

If I remember rightly, it was owned/managed by Colin Byrne(sp) and his missus, (didn't they have Cellar Vie, too?) and it had a good year - or maybe two - before it went downhill.

There was a winebar - Jamals - over the way on Wilmslow Road, and quite a few 'faces' from there used to take advantage of the facilities.

Jamals was, before its late licence, a reasonably good night out too. But, with late opening, came the aggro, with bouncers, nutters who, having had ten pints, move onto wine - not a great combination.

So, there you go, some old [censored] - like me - may be able to enlighten you more.

Cheers

Ed

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: 17:00:46, 25/04/10 »
Why do so many go downhill I wonder, is it because they eventually let anyone in if they have a few bad weeks and then it puts off the regulars who know how to behaved?

Edtheball

« Reply #33 on: 22:08:20, 27/04/10 »
Why do so many go downhill I wonder, is it because they eventually let anyone in if they have a few bad weeks and then it puts off the regulars who know how to behaved?
I suppose clubs and pubs have always been that way.

They start of with good intentions, claiming to be 'select' and 'discerning' but, on quiet nights, standards do slip and rather than operate empty, they throw the doors open for a free-for-all.

And eventually, that becomes the norm... the 'chosen ones' move onto a new habitat  - and the herd moves in to graze on what's left.

Then it all starts again...

(I was never one of the 'trendies', but knew plenty of people who thought they were, and just as many who aspired to be. Sad, really.)

king of clubs

« Reply #34 on: 23:24:59, 27/04/10 »
I suppose clubs and pubs have always been that way.

They start of with good intentions, claiming to be 'select' and 'discerning' but, on quiet nights, standards do slip and rather than operate empty, they throw the doors open for a free-for-all.

And eventually, that becomes the norm... the 'chosen ones' move onto a new habitat  - and the herd moves in to graze on what's left.

Then it all starts again...

(I was never one of the 'trendies', but knew plenty of people who thought they were, and just as many who aspired to be. Sad, really.)
   it is still the same especially around the didsbury area did you ever see the pitcher and piano crammed to the doors for a while and then down to about 10 people in some nights before closing down and re opening as a wetherspoons.

Edtheball

« Reply #35 on: 09:02:14, 28/04/10 »
   it is still the same especially around the didsbury area did you ever see the pitcher and piano crammed to the doors for a while and then down to about 10 people in some nights before closing down and re opening as a wetherspoons.
I know it well.

I live in Didsbury, and have done for 30-plus years.

I never really liked the P & P as the piano wasn't real :o  - a bit like many of the 'kling-ons' that inhabited it at the weekends. ;)

Bizarrely, I'll be trying 'Spoonies' on Thursday, at some point, just a small matter of driving to Edinburgh and back the same day. :o

I tend to use the more established boozers... but weekends are a 'mare, and let's be honest, many of the people that venture into Didsbury at w/e, you wouldn't want in your house - would you? (And I'm notoriously not fussy.)

Too old now for new club openings but, when I'm in Manchester, I'll give (virtually) anywhere a go, if it looks okay or I've heard good reports.

That said, maybe the more salubrious wouldn't let me in, now I'm of more (ahem) mature years.    8)

That said, the old Barleycorn, on Barlow Moor Road is due to open fairly soon, so I may give that a whirl and see what's been made of it.

From the outside - I passed it on Monday - the refurb looks fairly advanced, and I can see it opening very soon.

I wish them well, that part of Didders could do with somewhere decent to eat and have a wee taste :P  in, that's not on the Burton Road (now being called by estate agents 'Burton Village - you couldn't make it up... well, they could...  ::) ) carousel.

I'll let you know my findings. ;D

Ed

Georgyporgy

« Reply #36 on: 23:31:42, 14/07/10 »
Anyone remember the 111Club (One Eleven Club) M/cr center '79 to '80

libsy6

« Reply #37 on: 12:00:54, 10/12/10 »
don't forget Devilles next to Cellar Vie 1 and then there was Cellar Vie 2.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #38 on: 07:45:14, 23/12/10 »
Just read this thread and it took me back a long way. Although I left Manchester (for Cheshire) in 1973 and later moved south,  I remember Placemate (tho can't remember exactly where it was) when it first opened.  My mate Helen and I used to go there with our pal, Umberto (now a local DJ & broadcaster), who was a true gent and who would walk us home.  It was owned by a Turkish Cypriot business man (Ivor Abadi?) and was considered fairly sophisticated.  I remember dancing the night away to "Love Train" - that dates me!  Rafters (Oxford Rd?) was lovely, a respectable place which attracted mostly couples, and they used to serve up free bowls of moussaka at the end of the evening.  Many of us 'cool girls' used to hang out at The Grapes pub in/near Quay St tho, as it attracted Man U footballers (Georgie Best most notably) and the cast of Corrie.
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

CityLad

« Reply #39 on: 22:41:21, 30/01/11 »
Yep it was Waves

chad

« Reply #40 on: 21:51:11, 13/02/11 »
Just come accross this forum, I used to work in Manchester and have been going to the clubs in Mancheter and Salford since the mid 60s. However around the 70s and 80s some good clubs about. Anyone remember
going to these  Blueberies, Bambles, the Zoo the Millionaire, Slack Alices.  There was  club just off whitworth street where mosts of the students and nurses went ( carnt remember the name ) always remeber  your feet stuck to the carpet. anyone remember the name lol

chad

« Reply #41 on: 22:07:36, 13/02/11 »
Just remembered Kicks and High Society as well as the above

penny

« Reply #42 on: 19:01:38, 03/03/11 »
Chad, do you mean the conti? As i remember that was frequented by medical types! Spent many a night in there in the early 80's.  Also the swinging sporran. My ex was at the poly then and i worked in the city centre til 83. Really miss the place! I remember the millionaire club. Was that owned by some dude who used to be in corrie or am i gettin confused?!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: 23:51:11, 03/03/11 »
I remember Placemate (tho can't remember exactly where it was) when it first opened.  My mate Helen and I used to go there with our pal, Umberto (now a local DJ & broadcaster), who was a true gent and who would walk us home

Anyone know where Umberto is now, I used to listen to him and James Stannage on Piccadilly Radio and Key 103?

Greengate Girl

« Reply #44 on: 13:22:52, 04/03/11 »
 O0 I used to like listening to Umberto too.

Clubs!!! these will date me. (From the 60's)
The Silver Moon The Garden of Eden and The Cromford Club
were my favourites.xxx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.