Author Topic: 70's / 80's clubs....  (Read 191334 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: 70's / 80's clubs....
« Reply #45 on: 16:50:55, 04/03/11 »
I think either Umberto or Stannage went to Century FM but that has changed it's name, don't know what it's called now
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Manxman

Adrian

A Manxman (That is I originate from the Isle of Man) living in the heart of Manchester.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: 20:12:08, 04/03/11 »
Thanks for that O0 :)

Remember now, Century FM changed it's name to Real Radio

chad

« Reply #48 on: 17:08:18, 05/03/11 »
Hi Penny, yes it was the Conti ( continetal) . Thanks for that it really gets under your skin when you carnt remember.  :) 

chad

« Reply #49 on: 17:11:42, 05/03/11 »
Penny, if im not mistaken i thought it was Selwin Demmy ( the bookmaker) who owned the Millionare ?

penny

« Reply #50 on: 18:03:53, 05/03/11 »
Glad to be of help re the Conti, Chad!  You may well be rite about the Millionaire club. I just seem to think chris quentin, who was brian tilsley in corrie used to own a club and thought that was it. Must be me age...aargh!  I now live in derby but am desperate to move back to m'cr...tis very borin here and they dont cater for oldies like me who still like indie music!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: 18:30:18, 05/03/11 »
Penny, if im not mistaken i thought it was Selwin Demmy ( the bookmaker) who owned the Millionare ?
My father knew the Demmy brothers, I think they owned the Phonograph on King Street and then the name changed, maybe they changed it. :-\

chad

« Reply #52 on: 12:41:03, 08/03/11 »
Hi Penny one good turn deserves another, I can help you there the club Chris Quentin owed was the High Society it was near the Union pub  on the opposite side of Princess St.  It had a class dance floor with different coloured lights under neath it.   Never lasted ver long.

chad

« Reply #53 on: 12:47:34, 08/03/11 »
hi Celeste, the Demmy's Gus and Selwin, owned or had stakes in a few clubs in Manchester at different times.  As i recall a couple were Millionare, Time and Place, Slack Alices although said to be owned by George Best, Someone told me ( if true) it was bankrolled my Selwin Demmy.

chad

« Reply #54 on: 17:00:21, 08/03/11 »
Hi Penny one good turn deserves another, I can help you there the club Chris Quentin owed was the High Society it was near the Union pub  on the opposite side of Princess St.  It had a glass dance floor with different coloured lights under neath it.   Never lasted ver long.

penny

« Reply #55 on: 20:17:33, 08/03/11 »
Thanx for that, chad. I remember it was near princess st. Only went there a couple of times and it was pretty dead as i recall. My fave places were the conti, hacienda, swingin sporran and cyprus tavern. I also remember a club with knickers on the ceiling! Lunchtimes were usually spent in the crown and anchor nr dale st. Pete shelley of  buzzcock was often in there

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: 20:30:23, 08/03/11 »
hi Celeste, the Demmy's Gus and Selwin, owned or had stakes in a few clubs in Manchester at different times.  As i recall a couple were Millionare, Time and Place, Slack Alices although said to be owned by George Best, Someone told me ( if true) it was bankrolled my Selwin Demmy.
A girl at the Airport where I worked said they were known as the 'cream bun boys' or something similar - maybe you can guess why, can't put it on here as I don't know if anyone would take offence

chad

« Reply #57 on: 09:55:50, 09/03/11 »
Penny, the pub with the Knickers was called Paddies Goose ( nicknamed the dirty duck).  I used to work on Whitworth street  and often went in the local pubs for a lunchtime drink on Fridays.

Cleste,  not sure about the cream buns lol

chad

« Reply #58 on: 10:32:52, 09/03/11 »
god my minds going now lol.... Tommy Ducks was the more popular name for the pub it was on one of the streets of Oxrord road 

tony dixon

« Reply #59 on: 12:33:33, 09/03/11 »
Tommy Ducks, which was a grade 1 listed building was, allegedly, torn down by the brewery who wanted to sell the land to property devolopers. The council refused to issue a demolition order because of the building's status - so the brewery ( crafty beggars ) had it demolished over-night.They were ,consequently, fined £100k.
Chad, as you say, the pub was situated off Oxford Road on East Street - I used it occsionally in the early sixties - always good for a laugh.