Author Topic: Anyone Grow Up In Openshaw?  (Read 69654 times)

Moonshine

Re: Anyone Grow Up In Openshaw?
« Reply #45 on: 21:07:46, 12/04/13 »
Hiya  :)  I lived in Opnshaw, Brigham st. I went to Elysian st school just for the last year before i went to Wright Robbie :) I remember quite a few people from the area, the Gills (Roy and Pete) Blackshaws (Wendy, Tracey, Fiona and Gaynor) the Dixons, Blemmings, Hardacre's, Marsdens, Seniors, Bullocks, Gettings to name just a few  :)

chamstress

« Reply #46 on: 18:06:48, 15/09/13 »
Hi everybody, I am new here... My Dad grew up at 29 Staton Street Openshaw, I have googled it but I can only find Meech Street?  there is a Staton Street sign up on the corner of number 25.....My Dad Frank Bennison was born in 1923 and he had a brother Eric and sister Sybil his Mum was Emma Bennison and her husband was George a confectioner. I am not sure the school my Dad went to but he always used to say 'in my day I had to walk 9 miles to school'  :-\  I grew up in Rochdale so I don't know Manchester very well ....

peteberesford@btinternet.

« Reply #47 on: 00:43:00, 08/12/13 »
Does anyone remember the Beresford's. We lived on Ashton Old Road.

tombrearley

« Reply #48 on: 08:44:32, 06/01/14 »
Hi I went to Elysian st to 1963 and then to varna st. We had a shop at 938 ashton old road. Friends were Graham Robinson who lived in coronation street, Paul Bowers, Peter Lignum and Philip Gittings (who lived on Elysian St). I also remember Janet Sheldon ( she let me kiss her once!),  and Janet Burrows. Mr Philpott was the headmaster and Mr Taylor and Mrs Finlay were teachers. The school has been demolished. Its a bigger dump round there now than it was when I grew up, houses boarded up etc . There are plenty of photos of openshaw on the Manchester Council website taken c1960 before the slum clearance programme knocked most of it down!

Whippet

Who remembers the trolleybuses
« Reply #49 on: 14:50:59, 19/01/14 »
Does anyone remember the trolleybuses,from 1937 to 1966.They ran on Ashton Old Rd,Ashton New Rd, Hyde Rd and Rochdale Rd. I do from about 1957 till they got replaced by buses. I just about remembered the Crossley Empires and 6 wheel Dominions of Manchester and Ashton. Growing up on A-O-R there was a short working at Grey Mare Lane, and Fairfield Rd using Toxteth St and Beck St to wait for return to Piccadilly. Buses also turned at The Trough, Audenshaw and The Snipe on Manchester Rd. I think Guide Bridge would have been too tight to turn around, but maybe thet reversed sometimes.

Jim44

« Reply #50 on: 21:36:17, 19/01/14 »
Going up Ashton Old road, form Midland St; where did Openshaw start?
Was the Beswick Co-op on Ashton Old Rd; in Beswick, Ardwick or Openshaw?

Manx

« Reply #51 on: 10:47:17, 20/01/14 »
The old boundary line ran along Gorton road, so Openshaw would have started somewhere near to Gresham Street and ended near the bend at Fairfield, a distance of about 2-1/4 miles along Ashton Old Road, all in Openshaw.

Jog my memory a bit where the Co-op was, because there was a 'Beswick Co-op' shop actually on Gresham Street, corner of Wynne Street  .... and must have been at the boundary edge yet within Beswick?

Click on the map to show the Openshaw boundary sector 518, Beswick is sector 515 and Bradford is sector 516.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Openshaw/

Jim44

« Reply #52 on: 12:45:57, 20/01/14 »
If my memory serves me right, the Beswick Co-op store was round about Claribel st; Just before the picture  house. Was it the Queens?

bodzy

« Reply #53 on: 22:31:11, 20/01/14 »

Can you tell me where the Leigh Arms is?

I hate people that go in a pub and cant spell its name the Leigh Arms  is spelt LEGH Arms  Ashton old Road

bodzy

« Reply #54 on: 22:34:54, 20/01/14 »
Hi everybody, I am new here... My Dad grew up at 29 Staton Street Openshaw, I have googled it but I can only find Meech Street?  there is a Staton Street sign up on the corner of number 25.....My Dad Frank Bennison was born in 1923 and he had a brother Eric and sister Sybil his Mum was Emma Bennison and her husband was George a confectioner. I am not sure the school my Dad went to but he always used to say 'in my day I had to walk 9 miles to school'  :-\  I grew up in Rochdale so I don't know Manchester very well ....

I think you will probably find that Staton Street  was Stanton Street just off Meech st

Hovis St.

« Reply #55 on: 23:21:35, 20/01/14 »
I think you will probably find that Staton Street  was Stanton Street just off Meech st

No bodzy, Staton st. was Staton st. all gone now but the other streets are still there. Greer, Brighan and Dunston. There was a Stanton st. in Clayton I believe.
I've just had a look on Google st. view and the "Staton st." name is still on the end house on Meech st.

Whippet

« Reply #56 on: 12:23:07, 23/01/14 »
To anyone that remembers..Trying to think back before 1970 where the oldest cottages were in Hr.Openshaw.At a guess part of Kirkham St/Etterick St, they had flagged floors.But Little Droylsden was really dated on Abbey Hey ln. I remember the long gardens, the Off License and cottages there were old. Where Belsize Garage was,it was called Stillcroft on an old map. Top of A-O-R just before Manshaw Rd, was Station Rd the road sunk down here and there was a railing on the curb, Remember the man that had animals in his garden,We knew him as MrMac.Of course the Fairfield Moravian Settlement was not strictly Hr Openshaw, bbut iit was nearby and the terraced cottages were abot 1770ish. Anyone got any more ideas?
Whippet.....

bigmac

« Reply #57 on: 19:38:46, 26/02/14 »
I grew up in Higher Openshaw OO La La..... Oxton st.I went to St Anns infants

maggi

« Reply #58 on: 19:45:37, 26/02/14 »
Remember the Lord Raglan>?

spangles

« Reply #59 on: 05:55:08, 02/03/14 »
i lived in meech street..70s..went to elysian street and what a good time...playing crickey on the bowling green oposit and playing bulldog in the dark.
was really sad when the school was torn down...remember going on tuesdays and thursdays to the after school club...rounders on the playground and hockey in the main hall.
sad schoolplays at christmas.
did anyone else think mr parnaby was massive???????????
hated counrty dancing......knew the dixons, smiths in meech street.....bullocks...used to take pee out of noal bullock about him liking rock music then when i grew up i went into it....used to go to jillys in manch center and then rock world......those was the days....new the thewlises on elysian st.....used to love the big slide down bottom of park....aaaah memmorys.