Author Topic: Anyone Grow Up In Openshaw?  (Read 69628 times)

gigibyrne

Re: Anyone Grow Up In Openshaw?
« Reply #60 on: 19:38:06, 03/05/14 »
My Mum and Aunt grew up in Openshaw.  They lived in Gate Street which has been knocked down now, anyone know why when most of the streets around there are still standing.  Names: Anne and Jean Hopkin, there from 1939 to about 1960.  Their Grandad lived in Range Street, William Hopkin, secretary at the AEU?  Both went to Eylsian Street School. 

Hovis St.

« Reply #61 on: 18:32:55, 04/05/14 »
gigibyrne,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards.......Alec Sheldon

Eric walker

« Reply #62 on: 20:53:02, 09/08/14 »
Hi new to the site . I grew up in Manchester and lived at  145 south street manchester attended Elysian street school in the 1950 s. Although I know the Area has been redeveloped I have fond memories of my days in Manchester as a youth. I also attended st barnabus street at the lower end of south street. And then went on to wheeler street and vine street school before leaving Manchester in 1963 to macclesfield . I recall some old friends. Michael polite and many others I m now 64 years old and would love to make contact with anyone who lived in the area at that time  . How your lives developed and where you moved onto . It was a hard area to grow up in in them days . Never easy  smoggy .  We use to climb the walls of the English steel to have fun  fish the canal on the top of south street near Massey ferguson   . I could spend all day remembering them days would love to chat with some old school friends and memories

derekphil

« Reply #63 on: 10:49:44, 02/12/14 »
I lived in Openshaw from 1936 until I finally left M/cr in 1960. Went to Elysian st 1941-47. There is an excellent Facebook page about the Openshaw community. If you go to fbook, search for "Openshaw" it gets you there. Lots of photographs, and lots of memories from members. Very active site, well worth a visit, and joining.

lenny

« Reply #64 on: 17:56:36, 04/12/14 »
I was born in Fairfield Ardwick near pin mill brow 1945 till 1965  anyone got any memories,,Lenny wall.xxxx

Spatts

« Reply #65 on: 15:31:30, 15/12/14 »
Hi all, I've posted a picture of Elysian street school, june 1934 if anyone is intested, its on Facebook, Higher Openshaw streets & schools.

Spatts

« Reply #66 on: 15:43:39, 15/12/14 »
Hi Eric, I went to St. Clements 1962-64, my Dad went to Elysian street school back in the 1930's. Check out Higher Openshaw streets & schools, on facebook.

JayShel

« Reply #67 on: 06:34:45, 16/01/15 »
Hi I went to Elysian st to 1963 and then to varna st. We had a shop at 938 ashton old road. Friends were Graham Robinson who lived in coronation street, Paul Bowers, Peter Lignum and Philip Gittings (who lived on Elysian St). I also remember Janet Sheldon ( she let me kiss her once!),  and Janet Burrows. Mr Philpott was the headmaster and Mr Taylor and Mrs Finlay were teachers. The school has been demolished. Its a bigger dump round there now than it was when I grew up, houses boarded up etc . There are plenty of photos of openshaw on the Manchester Council website taken c1960 before the slum clearance programme knocked most of it down!
. Haha Tom , - you were Thomas in those days and yes , i did let you kiss me ! You were a good looking and lived in a sweetshop LOL !   Mr Philipson was the Headmasters name. I am still in touch with Janet B.  mr Taylor passed away about 13 years ago. I went to visit him.. Yes it looks pretty grim round there these days. I left when i was 18,,,hope you are keeping well.

JayShel

« Reply #68 on: 06:44:43, 16/01/15 »
Does anyone remember the Beresford's. We lived on Ashton Old Road.
there was Doreen Beresford I remember at Elysian st school..is she your sister Peter ??

tombrearley

« Reply #69 on: 19:53:49, 02/02/15 »
Hi Janet

Great to hear you R still around.

Do you know what happened to Paul Bowers?

Be great to chat

Tom

Gizmo

« Reply #70 on: 22:16:45, 07/02/15 »
Hi I  lived on Tunstall street opposite bellsize garage and went to clayton brook primary school then weller street school we left the area and moved to burnage

Strongbow24

« Reply #71 on: 03:18:09, 13/06/15 »
I have just found this site and have read all the posts with a big smile on my face remembering the names of people and streets ...... would love to hear about Eunice Beresford and Brenda Starr (lost them in the demolition process) My name was Kathy Shore and I lived first in Store Street then moved to Coronation Street.  My other friends @ Elysian Street were ....... Janet Watson, Denise and Jane Ingleby, Barbara Phillips, Gillian Robinson, Susan Starkey and Susan Sale ...... I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I hit send ;)

Strongbow24

« Reply #72 on: 03:59:59, 13/06/15 »
Staton Street I remember well ....... Casey's shop, Valerie Teece, Denise Porter, Warren Blemmings and Kathy Longley - Bernard Longley has become something quite important I think in the Catholic Church .......... a long way from us heathens sneaking in disrupting choir practice @ St Vincents ;)

Strongbow24

« Reply #73 on: 04:15:33, 13/06/15 »
Fred and Rose Tyree were friends of my parents, they lived opposite us in Store Street.  David was too old to interest me but Cheryl was probably my first wannabe ;)  Also on Store Street were the Taylor family (mostly boys) mum 'Josie Taylor' looked after me whilst my mum went to work and Susan Taylor took me to school for my first day @ Elysian Street.  June Gibson my older sisters friend lived on Store Street as did the 'Hoopers' and Mary McAllister ....... Mrs Hooper and Mary McAllister I believe are my Godmothers ?

Strongbow24

« Reply #74 on: 04:29:24, 13/06/15 »
Coronation Street ....... during the 10 years I lived there I saw a lot of changes ....... apart from the demolition lots of other subtle changes ..... like slowly but surely the shops that used to be on every corner of Victoria Street shutting down.  Some things however remained 'constant' despite the increasingly swift change in occupancy of the houses and that would be the Bullocks @ No.2 and Kitty Williams @ No.17
I spotted a few years ago in the Manchester Evening News an announcement of Kitty 'Catherine' Williams 100th birthday and went along to join celebrations at a pub in Audenshaw ........ I don't think she had a clue who I was but as soon as I mentioned my Dad's name her face lit up ....... no surprise there, he was somewhat of a womaniser, wouldn't be surprised if I find out I have siblings ;)