Author Topic: Anyone Grow Up In Openshaw?  (Read 69633 times)

honeybee29

Re: Anyone Grow Up In Openshaw?
« Reply #75 on: 21:22:18, 06/07/15 »
hiya i grew up in 33 brigham st in openshaw in the 70s  i also went to right robinson high school

Shawsy

« Reply #76 on: 14:53:46, 26/07/15 »
I remember Tracey who worked in the chippy on the corner of brightman st/lees st
And drove a white VW golf cabriolet.... (Well fit) she had the hots for me when I was younger and even left a note in the bag When I had chippy tea.
Saying: Hi gorgeous, hope you enjoy 😀
Gaynor was friends with my sister Tracey my mum also was friendly with Gaynor's mum.

[email protected]

« Reply #77 on: 09:54:52, 28/08/15 »
Hi,
I was born in openshaw and grew up there and went to grange street school and I lived at 15 grange street
I later at age of 11 Moved to Knutsford but I never forgot my roots
Any one on here went to grange street or near by

gillian elliott

« Reply #78 on: 01:12:30, 22/12/15 »
I went to varna st school from 1961 to 1968 then o to wright robinson. My name the was gillian elliott. I was friends with Jean Benson Jacqueline tetlow Susan Dunswell Steven brerton and Karen grundy who's dad was a barber on jetson st where I lived. Anybody remember me..?

Chermimosa

« Reply #79 on: 15:59:22, 19/01/16 »
I loved reading this thread, it brings back memories.
[/font]

What a small world!  Although this is a rather old thread, I hope you are still around.

I am Elaine, and found this forum today after deciding to just do some general searching to try and clean up my family tree.

I was only thinking of Uncle Jim and Aunt Vye and Kath, as I would have called them, only a couple of days ago!  I have no photographs of Derrick, although I do have a couple of you, Stuart and Ian with their grandparents and your mum, amongst the heaps of information which my dad (Louis) kept, he was so pedantic, but the information has helped me fill holes. I am now so sorry I didn't ask him for more information about our family.

I went to Ashton Old Road school, but do know many of the names which have been mentioned on this thread. 

I hope you are still getting information from the forum, would love to hear from you.

Regards

Chermimosa

« Reply #80 on: 17:10:26, 19/01/16 »
.. O0 ...Mum & Dad used to go to the Dustmans Club most Sunday nights with all the old neighbours...and they'd all get up and do a turn...Good memories eh?....

Hazel x

So did mine, I have many photographs of people in there as well!  I used to start my Saturday night in there before going to Manchester, mainly to Jilly's!  Lovely people, run by Hilda & Bill Davies!  Wonderful times.

Regards

gillian elliott

« Reply #81 on: 19:36:08, 19/01/16 »
Hi there does anybody remember varna st school in the sixties. Teachers Mr and Mrs Davenport man and wife teachers and.Mrs Smedley. l lived on Jetson Street and was best friends with Karen, then Grundy. Her dad was a barber and had a shop on Jetson St. My olser sister Pat Elliott went out with a lad called Joe on Abbey Hey Lane he lived in a fruit shop. Happy Days..

gillian elliott

who went to varna street in the sixties
« Reply #82 on: 22:51:25, 10/02/16 »
Hi there does anybody remember varna st school in the sixties. Teachers Mr and Mrs Davenport man and wife teachers and.Mrs Smedley. l lived on Jetson Street and was best friends with Karen, then Grundy. Her dad was a barber and had a shop on Jetson St. My olser sister Pat Elliott went out with a lad called Joe on Abbey Hey Lane he lived in a fruit shop. Happy Days..

Anne-Marie

« Reply #83 on: 19:22:53, 22/02/16 »
Hi There

My mum and dad Rita and George Maybury were the last landlord and landlady at the Malcolm before it closed down about 1982. I have fond memories of living in that pub and do have some photos of the inside of the pub. I was the youngest of four, my eldest brother Mike and next one Phil used to help out behind the bar.  I used to help collect glasses and wash them and bottled up for spends!  We lived there for 7 years and both me and my sister Helen went to St Gregorys RC High School in Hr Openshaw.   I remember there was both long standing mens and ladies darts teams as I'd sometimes help my mum make the sandwiches.  Sadly, our dad George passed away  in 2002 but, Rita is still alive and well and living in Cheadle.  Not sure if anyone remembers?
Thanks
Anne-Marie

ryderdn

« Reply #84 on: 18:34:39, 09/03/16 »
My grandparents lived in Coronation Street in Openshaw  from around 1926-1958. I've only just discovered that Coronation Street is still there! I went to Elysian Street school at the age of 5 possibly for only a term before my parents moved to Pennel Street.  I have vary vague memories as it is 57 years ago. Was the school where the open grassy area is now on Elysian Street? Also was there a corner shop somewhere nearby? I seem to have a vague memory of one.
I am trying to find the house number which my grandparents lived in in Coronation Street. All I have to go on is their name which was Margerison and their daughter was Alwen (my mother).
In addition was their a company nearby called Hans Renolds (engineering of some sort) and also a bridge across a railway line known as the Birdcage?
Any help much appreciated.
Regards
Dave

Craig79

« Reply #85 on: 22:23:54, 10/04/16 »
Hi I'm Jean Bensons son Craig. Her married name is Jean Smith living in Abbey Hey and can be found through Facebook. Thanks

stevethemanc

« Reply #86 on: 14:14:23, 06/12/16 »
Yep, Bartlett Street, I went to Elysian Street then Wright Robbie, Steve Shea Born 1956, Sister Carol Born 1954, mam Vera, Dad Jimmy my uncle Derek was the concert sec at HOWMC, Stanley Street.
Homesick.......

stevethemanc

« Reply #87 on: 14:20:31, 06/12/16 »
My sister Carol went to Varna Street for her first year in secondary school and was then transferred to Wright Robbie the year it opened, I think that was in 1966 or 1967.
Homesick.......

stevethemanc

« Reply #88 on: 18:47:34, 06/12/16 »
My mam used to say "If you cant be nice don't be nasty".
Homesick.......

stevethemanc

« Reply #89 on: 18:49:17, 06/12/16 »
I have just found this site and have read all the posts with a big smile on my face remembering the names of people and streets ...... would love to hear about Eunice Beresford and Brenda Starr (lost them in the demolition process) My name was Kathy Shore and I lived first in Store Street then moved to Coronation Street.  My other friends @ Elysian Street were ....... Janet Watson, Denise and Jane Ingleby, Barbara Phillips, Gillian Robinson, Susan Starkey and Susan Sale ...... I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I hit send ;)
Homesick.......