Author Topic: Salvation Army Hospital Ancoats  (Read 45221 times)

john carrington

Re: Salvation Army Hospital Ancoats
« Reply #45 on: 11:29:21, 07/07/13 »
I could read both your blogs ( Adsum & Cheethamgirl ) all day long. I'm starting to think I have not been around....................although I thought I had................ :-[ .................LOL....
Please I don't require moral guidance, well perhaps a little..

Wytchfynder

« Reply #46 on: 12:26:46, 07/07/13 »
I've got a fair idea of who that club-owning clown was in Adsums  taxi.  bit of a loudmouth who fancied himself and thought he was a bit handy.

Adsum

« Reply #47 on: 12:34:03, 07/07/13 »
I've got a fair idea of who that club-owning clown was in Adsums  taxi.  bit of a loudmouth who fancied himself and thought he was a bit handy.

I won't say who he played in Corrie, but his mum in the show was called Ivy.    8) ;D :D
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Wytchfynder

« Reply #48 on: 12:40:50, 07/07/13 »
I reckon we aint a million miles away on that one ;D  Clown bumped into me whilst I was sitting down in a certain club and tried giving me attitude. What a loon.
« Last Edit: 12:48:41, 07/07/13 by Wytchfynder »

john carrington

« Reply #49 on: 13:02:42, 07/07/13 »
Her Ivy, I  remember her from the press club, talk about rough, did the guy in question say where's my shirt a lot?

Wytchfynder

« Reply #50 on: 13:37:32, 07/07/13 »
He said ' oi do you know who I am?' a lot.

john carrington

« Reply #51 on: 13:57:12, 07/07/13 »
Oh well I still remember "Ivy" with her sprayed on hot pants and domestos bleached blond hair, LOL Knowing me I will of had a fair few sherbet's I was looking not buying...........I was in my prime then......lol

cheethamgirl

« Reply #52 on: 11:43:45, 08/07/13 »

Some years ago a friend of mine started his own business as an electrician. One of his first decent jobs was to rewire a club a famous Coronation star was opening up. The club quickly went bankrupt and closed down. My friend never got paid. Some months later I picked up this "Star" who asked to be taken to the television studios. We were stuck in traffic on Deansgate when he demanded that I go faster. To which I replied, "Would you like me to go over or under the bus in front, or drive along the pavement"? He replied in a snotty voice. "Do you know who I am"? To which I replied. "Yes you're the bloke who owes my mate £3000 for wiring your club, for which you didn't pay him. He screamed at me to let him out of the cab. I kept my foot on the brake, thus keeping the doors locked and demanded my fare, stating. "I want my £1.80p. You may rip others off, but you ain't ripping me off".  He threw the money at me before storming off.  ;D

Nice one!
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

anniec

« Reply #53 on: 16:15:47, 03/08/14 »
I'm following up on the post about the Salvation Army hospital in Ancoats.  Quite late, sorry. Anyway, I was born there in 1947. Can't believe it was still going in the 60s with all that regeneration starting! I'm back living in England after 40-odd years in America. My old stomping ground (Albert Street) in what was Ardwick, and now appears to be Beswick has changed beyond recognition.  Did anyone go to Nansen Street Primary School?

puggy

« Reply #54 on: 20:32:30, 05/08/14 »
Hi anniec , I was born there 1945..only discovered in recent years as my birth cert. just says 15,Mitchell Street.

Sorry don't know anything about Nansen Street primary school. Try Friends Reunited?

lozflan

« Reply #55 on: 13:48:37, 06/08/14 »
They used to play at Xmas,in our St just off Phillip's Park rd.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Salvator

« Reply #56 on: 00:14:35, 08/02/15 »
Hi to all
This is my first post here so apologies if the topic has been covered before.... you appear to be a very knowledgable group of people!
I was born in the Salvation Army hospital in Ancoats in 1964 (may have also been known as the Crossley Hospital?) just wondering if anyone else on the site was born there... does anyone have a picture of the hospital or any other info / memories that they could share with me... many thanks in advance

Chipsandgravy

I was born in Crossley Hospital too.  My parents were the Salvation Army officers at Pendlebury, and they had a bed reserved for female Salvation Army officers.

Lancashire Lass

« Reply #57 on: 17:22:58, 24/05/15 »
I was born there in 1943

mikemoreton

« Reply #58 on: 19:46:00, 08/09/15 »
I lived at 282 Ashton new road in a house that later became a working mans club. I went to Christ Church school when we lived there. When our lease was up, we were moved by the council into Mayfield house, the rear of which backed on to a croft facing Every street. I went to Every street school. We eventually got allocated a council house in Hilary road, Woodhouse park. I was very young at the time. My Dad had to stay at his Mums while we were in Mayfield House as men weren't allowed to stay. I suspect Mayfield House was part of the  Crossley hospital but I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: 19:51:43, 08/09/15 by mikemoreton »

lizzy

« Reply #59 on: 00:59:11, 30/09/15 »
it my frist time on here but i have been reading some of the comments about crossley house in ancoats  my husband was born there in 1960 it was a sprizes  when he told me as in 1977 78  when i left school i what and work there when i turn into  a nursing  home   i remember a few names from when i work there and have lot of happy times there  :smitten: