Author Topic: Chorlton On Medlock Late 60s early 70s  (Read 48638 times)

MG

Re: Chorlton On Medlock Late 60s early 70s
« Reply #45 on: 04:22:12, 13/10/14 »
Hi Margaret, I remember going to St Ignatius to see a play the pupils put on... St Bernadette. It was wonderful. I wanted to go there with some of my friends and remember being upset that I could not go but I cannot remember who they were now. Other friends who I went to St Joseph's with were Una Mannion, Bridget Brady and Dolores Maughan.

Tom Coffey

« Reply #46 on: 14:28:21, 05/08/15 »
I was born 1948 and went to Burlington street then to Dover street, Mr Cunningham was the head at Dover street and Joe Garside was teacher in prefab......

mikemoreton

« Reply #47 on: 19:22:33, 08/09/15 »
We lived in "Rooms" at 36 Brunswick street when we were first married. There was a shop opposite run by a guy called Norman. We used to get our coal from Huskinsons coal yard. My wife grew up around that area and lived in St Leonard street.

DAVID GRIBBEN

« Reply #48 on: 12:43:46, 31/10/15 »
Anyone know Cotenham St, or a Family called Knight from the St

Bernie Birchall

« Reply #49 on: 19:00:39, 16/11/15 »
Hi I went to the holy name school Dover st 1960-66. I lived at 105 rumford st. Walters was corner shop. Then we moved to Ackers st before being moved to wilbraham rd in 1970. Mrs Keane and mr Hindmarsh were great teachers. Whit walks were legendary. All dressed in check dresses!

little rico

« Reply #50 on: 22:18:10, 18/12/15 »
I also went to the ,holy family, st augustines and st ignatius. lived on Berwick st next door to Brenda Burns i remember Carol Cooke who i think was her cousin, knew the Hibbs brothers,Fred and Judah Walkden,Peter Anne and John Cassin.

I went to Eddie Deary's birthday party in their cellar and i remember  Tony and Sheila ( O'brians ?).

Our family Dorothy,John,myself Patrick, Beatrice and Robert Richardson moved to Oldham where our mother was born and raised.
Reading these posts brings back a lot of memories, hope you are all doing well.   

little Rico

maggi

« Reply #51 on: 09:08:17, 14/01/16 »
I remember a Marion Kilduff   I think we played together??
Do you remember?

I, too, lived on Cecil Street, No 2 I think,
(Porters Coal Yard) in 1953/54
we then moved to Lloyd St. 
above Hitchen's grocery shop
it was next door to the big Royal pub
x

City girl

« Reply #52 on: 00:35:09, 12/06/16 »

It was nice to read your post about living at 19 Berick Street as I lived at 9 Berick Street.
I so remember your Nini as she looked after all the kids of the neighbour or to me it seemed she did.
Nini lived in the basement or on the main floor didn't she?
I remember your family having visitors from Scotland one of them a young boy who would chase the girls saying at the top of his lunges " let's catch the lasses"
I think I went to school with Peter as well.
I remember playing house on the Croft. We made houses out of bricks on the ground and items taken from the bombed houses.
Our family name is Dervan,there were 5 of us at that time. John,Fran, Kate, Stephen and Michael. We left I think in 1960 or 61 not sure about that.
There was a scrap yard to the left of our house and a Croft to the right.
The Murphys lived In the next house along from the Croft.the Mothers name was Mary she had a son called Johnny not sure of the other children.
Our Doctor had a surgery at the top of the street on the righth hand side of the road he was called Dr Valance.
A great man he took all the kids of the street to Blaclpool in the summer. He rented the old Garret at Christmas and gave all the kids a party and a gift.
Just some of the happy memories of living in Berick Street.

Frannyd

« Reply #53 on: 21:06:43, 16/06/16 »
I left a post a while back, asking if anyone remembers the all saints tavern? my dads mother ran it she was called margaret lillis. my dad and his brothers were very well known teddy, brian, vincent and anthony whom my father is!! Love 2 hear any memories anyone has!
Isaw your post and was really interested as I went to school with your Uncle Teddy also Ilived in Berwick Stand used to go in the All saints tavern many a good night there ,
Going back to Teddy ,is he still alive ? I'm 84 so it's a long time ago .Ilived in Booth St East and your Dad's family lived in Rosamund Place .knew Tommy Howard as well
I now live in Ireland .nice to be in touch ,I have a lot of memories growing up in Booth St especially as a teenager and meeting up with Teddy and a gang of us

Auntacid

« Reply #54 on: 20:16:01, 18/06/16 »
I am city girl sister kate Dervan lived at 9 Berwick street but left in 61 aged five but can still remember the smell of Duncan foster and getting cakes from there. Granny rose giblin lived on booth street East aunty Mary press lived at the back of us. Not many memories as I was a bit young.

Tom Coffey

« Reply #55 on: 17:16:07, 20/07/16 »
Does anyone know a Seamus Barcoe who went to Holy Name school in late 1950 at Dover Street?

bobc

« Reply #56 on: 13:59:40, 25/07/16 »
I was born 1948 and went to Burlington street then to Dover street, Mr Cunningham was the head at Dover street and Joe Garside was teacher in prefab......

I was born in 1947 in Blossom Avenue opposite Holy Name Church and went to Burlington Street School

bobc

« Reply #57 on: 14:04:01, 25/07/16 »
I remember a Marion Kilduff   I think we played together??
Do you remember?

I, too, lived on Cecil Street, No 2 I think,
(Porters Coal Yard) in 1953/54
we then moved to Lloyd St. 
above Hitchen's grocery shop
it was next door to the big Royal pub
x

I lived on Blossom Avenue opposite the Holy Name Church off Leamington Street. I used to have to go to the Coal Yard for coal bricks.

mags7

« Reply #58 on: 22:36:07, 31/07/16 »
Hi I went to the holy name school Dover st 1960-66. I lived at 105 rumford st. Walters was corner shop. Then we moved to Ackers st before being moved to wilbraham rd in 1970. Mrs Keane and mr Hindmarsh were great teachers. Whit walks were legendary. All dressed in check dresses!
I see from your  message  that you  lived  at rumford  street  only  your  name  seems  familiar to  me  as  I lived on grafton street  around the corner,  and  I allso  whent to Walters shop for my nan I lived  opposite the  grafton arms pub  on grafton street  ,I whent to the holyname primary school burlington street  In 1958to1960, I remember  a boy called  jackie delainey   who was  mentioned in  a lot of the  games  we played  he had a brother named Peter  do you  remember  him  and did he go to  doverstreet school  the same time as  you?   

Kippax1

« Reply #59 on: 22:16:50, 18/11/16 »
Hi Martin Q,
I used to go to the Holy Name School, and was a friend of your brother(?)  JohnJo.
I did meet him many years ago, but lost his number. I'd be grateful for any news of him.
Seamus Barcoe