Author Topic: Chorlton On Medlock Late 60s early 70s  (Read 48639 times)

Chipsandgravy

Chorlton On Medlock Late 60s early 70s
« on: 20:40:03, 27/03/12 »
As a child I lived in Chorlton On Medlock which seems to be an almost forgotten area of the city
There were lots of little streets filled with terraced houses which were eventually determined to be slums, consequently everyone was moved out of the area and the houses were demolished.
We lived just off Upper Brook St in Spring Street, around us were Summer St, Autumn St, June St and July St, that I can remember.
My Dad used to frequent the Blackstock pub and we kids virtually lived in Victoria baths when we weren’t playing football in the ‘car free’ street that is,  Swinton park was not far away and we spent a lot of time there also.
The queen came to open the new St Mary’s hospital in 1971 and we got the day off school as a result... we stopped playing football for a quick look as she passed the end of the street and then we were straight back to it!
I can only remember happy times but looking back I know that Mum and Dad were pretty hard up, when I see my own kids now with all their tech’ like lap tops, games consoles and mobile phones it all seems a world away.

julie

Re: Chorlton On Medlock Late 60s early 70s
« Reply #1 on: 21:32:14, 27/03/12 »
yes all i had was an etch a sketch me doll a golliwog and a dog on wheels if i remember right oh and some hovis bread with real butter
fate keeps on happening

Jim44

« Reply #2 on: 22:20:28, 27/03/12 »
Hovis with best butter. Yummie.

mancity1984

« Reply #3 on: 23:27:51, 18/05/12 »
I left a post a while back, asking if anyone remembers the all saints tavern? my dads mother ran it she was called margaret lillis. my dad and his brothers were very well known teddy, brian, vincent and anthony whom my father is!! Love 2 hear any memories anyone has!

MargaretB

« Reply #4 on: 16:18:32, 19/09/12 »
I was born and brought up near the Holy Name and my memories include seeing some of those University buildings being built and us kids being chased off the sites.  As an adult I went to work in one of those buildings and it was weird to have a doorman open and door and say 'good morning' rather than 'clear off!'

We were moved out in 1967 but the site of our old house was not developed until 2011.  It was used as a car park in between that time.  Nothing left really, all has been redeveloped.

Looking back, they were probably hard times but as kids there was so much we could do and I love the sound of breaking glass!  Breaking windows in houses that were about to be demolished was not hurting anyone and it is a great sound.  We would flit in and out of derelict houses without any floorboards so we had to skip across joists.  Complete health and safety nightmare these days!

charter

« Reply #5 on: 11:20:16, 28/09/12 »
One of my cousins used to live on Blackstock Street until 1971 and the other one on Carmoor Road

The Blackstock Pub is still there but it it no longer a pub - it belongs to Macro Direct
« Last Edit: 11:27:37, 28/09/12 by charter »

maggi

« Reply #6 on: 13:03:24, 17/02/13 »
I went to the Holy Name church & school

tony dixon

« Reply #7 on: 13:49:56, 17/02/13 »
I went in the Blackstock a few times with a fairly short-term girl- friend - can't recall her name.

Here it is in 1970 :

« Last Edit: 16:13:39, 25/07/14 by Chris »

MargaretB

« Reply #8 on: 17:20:20, 17/02/13 »
I went to the Holy Name church & school

Did you go to Dover Street or Burlington Street?  Or were you like me and went to both?

maggi

« Reply #9 on: 17:04:48, 31/03/13 »
Hi Marg
went to Burlington Street.... Holy Name,
I left when I was 7,
went to St Edwards & Kentigerns, then,
(Thurloe Street & Yew Tree Road  Rusholme)
after then to St Josephs
I used to live on Lloyd Street until 1960

MargaretB

« Reply #10 on: 14:56:45, 01/04/13 »
I started at Burlington Street September 1960 and then went to St Ignatius in 1963.

St Edward's school on Yew Tree Road was demolished a couple of years ago and they merged with the school that used to be on Princess Parkway next to the bus depot - Bishop Bilsborrow.  They are now in a newly built school on the site of the old football ground.

maggi

« Reply #11 on: 17:31:10, 01/04/13 »
Thanks for that,
when I went there,  St Kentigerns was on Yew Tree Rd
and St Edwards was over Wilmslow Rd ...on Thurloe St, next to St Eds church

I know thye changed the names, when they closed St Eds (only had 4 classrooms)
but my very happy days............with Mr Cookson the headmaster

MargaretB

« Reply #12 on: 19:16:02, 01/04/13 »
When my brother became a teacher his first job was at St Edward's on Thurloe Street.  Long, long time ago.  I have been to the church a few times and the playground is now used for parking cars - strange to see some of the playground markings still around.

maggi

« Reply #13 on: 21:19:52, 01/04/13 »
When was that Marg?
And what's his name?

Tony

« Reply #14 on: 10:34:33, 02/04/13 »
 Hi All, I lived at 19 Berwick st, chorlton on medlock in the late 50s early 60s, as a teenager my first taste of beer were at the All Saints Tavern, and the Wellington which were on opposite corners of our street, I went to St Augustines school and left school about 1958, Started work right away as apprentice upholsterer, at a family run firm called Bill Geddes.We used to go to the Grosvenor Picture house on the corner of Grosvenor St and Oxford Rd, Duncan and fosters bakery was at the top of our street and the smell of fresh baked bread was sometimes to tempting, so we would pinch a few mini hovis loaves from the waiting delivery vans.We used to go to High street Baths (I think its called Hathersage road now)for a swim and also a hot bath as we didn't have electricity when we first moved in, just gas lighting (mind you dont break the mantle!)I left to join the army in January 1961 and shortly after the houses were compulsary purchased by the council to make way for the universary and the Mancunian way flyover, so my Dad, Ninny (gran),Brother Peter and sisters all were moved to Chorlton [censored] Hardy. I used to love the Whit Walks, and remember the Scottish pipe and Drums bands also their leader strutting at the head of the band and throwing the mace so high and catching it without breaking step, also some years there was a small boy at his side dressed exactly the same in a kilt who was also able to match the pipe major and throw the mace in a spinning hoop and catch it, Wonderful!