Author Topic: Harpurhey memories  (Read 60642 times)

Jdbooth50

Harpurhey memories
« on: 18:23:28, 27/07/12 »
Because I have just found this site, I don't know what topics have been covered, but was fascinated by the Queen's Park Museum topic, as I used to go there all the time. I would love to hear from anyone who remembers it, and Turkey Lane Works, the Black Brook, Harpurhey, Conran Street Market etc. Obviously a Harpurhey girl, born 1950. Anyone out there?

PLATES

Re: Harpurhey memories
« Reply #1 on: 20:56:33, 27/07/12 »
    O0 I used to go to Queen's Park Museum from Burgess Street School. I also know Turkey Lane Works the Black Brook and Conran street market. Used to have hours of fun playing at the Black Brook.   I remember the Starch Works the Beetroot Factory on Lilley street, we had hours of fun watching all the people leaving work with red faces from the Beetroot factory and white faces from the Starch works.

Jdbooth50

« Reply #2 on: 23:30:27, 27/07/12 »
I was born and lived in Lilley Street for 16 years, and well remember the beetroot works. It was at the back of our house and smelled horrible! We probably know each other!

briggsy

« Reply #3 on: 21:05:41, 31/03/13 »
Hi JDBOOTH50, I also used to live on Lilley Street, at the very end near St Edmunds School, do you know me ot Eddie Caveney, Eddie Mannion, Charlie Atherton or Johnny Ormond or Wilf Ball. Ther was a sewing machinist place called Bagnalls near the bridge and a Holts's pub.  Alan

dougle

« Reply #4 on: 14:31:31, 25/04/13 »
I was born in Turkey lane Harpurhey 1939. We lived next to the Hippodrome and ma took in actors and dancers etc. Sometimes they would take me backstage to show me what was going on. It was great when the circus came and the pantos. I met the seven dwarfs as well as snow white. The black brook was our favourite playing area. We survived the blitz but sadly many didn`t; they were after the factory at the bottom of Turkey Lane, Rileys, but didn`t hit it once. Queens Park was popular with the kids, and the lads used to gaze at the nude as if gobsmacked! I think that the war bonded all of the families into a tightly knit community, just one big family.
John Mackenzie

briggsy

« Reply #5 on: 18:38:35, 25/04/13 »
Hi jdbooth50,  I used to work at the Turkey lane works, raising cloth, and also played on the Black Brook, and the other places that you mentioned, I lived at 59 Lilley Street, the last house on there near St Edmunds School.
at the other end there was a small chippy. I just noticed that I already replied to you a while back. Alan

julie

« Reply #6 on: 20:11:34, 25/04/13 »
By the left Burgess street school was massive (just googled it). I'm from grtr Manchester a.k.a Bury so I enjoy all the gossip about old Manchester as my mam was from all the old areas dont ask about my font its gone awol no its gone normal again
fate keeps on happening

Mamma Caz

« Reply #7 on: 22:41:10, 15/08/13 »
I have been searching for a couple of years now to find a site like this.  I was born in August 1957 at 23 Turkey Lane, Harpurhey. The next row down after the Old Hip. It was a great playing site as it was just a shell.  I went to Burgess Street School and often played in Queens Park.  I loved the tennis courts, playground with the usual swings, roundabouts and fantastic long rocking horse. Also loved the sandpit.  The bandstand near the crown green bowling pitch was brilliant but my favourite place of all was the museum. I never tired of look at the dolls house which was on the ground floor at the back on the left hand side just as you walked through the doors.  If anyone can let me know where I would be able to see some photos of Turkey Lane, Burgess Street School and Queens Park it would be very appreciated. Thanks

joyce columbine

« Reply #8 on: 03:37:54, 19/09/13 »
I went to burgess st school in the late 40s early 50s. there were visiting showers , 48 in a class, regular clouts across the head and the odd flying board rubber. head mistress miss  Hornsby . my friends were jean booth and rita maddison  miss stott was a teatcher at one time

plittlewood

« Reply #9 on: 10:09:18, 22/09/13 »
I remember Mitford st in harpurhey (photos enclosed) St Edmund's, conran st, queens park, dewhurst butchers, etc, I lived in Mitford st 1946 to 1964 at number 9,and attended St Edmund's 1951 to 1961, Left the uk in 1966 and live in Australia, b4 I left the uk I lived on Langley estate for 2 years,Paul littlewood signing off till later,any reply will be answered.
« Last Edit: 10:21:11, 22/09/13 by plittlewood »

plittlewood

« Reply #10 on: 12:23:06, 22/09/13 »
I remember Mitford st in harpurhey (photos enclosed) St Edmund's, conran st, queens park, dewhurst butchers, etc, I lived in Mitford st 1946 to 1964 at number 9,and attended St Edmund's 1951 to 1961, Left the uk in 1966 and live in Australia, b4 I left the uk I lived on Langley estate for 2 years,Paul littlewood signing off till later,any reply will be answered.this is me outside the old infant school on one of my visit to the UK.

plittlewood

« Reply #11 on: 12:30:58, 22/09/13 »
I remember Mitford st in harpurhey (photos enclosed) St Edmund's, conran st, queens park, dewhurst butchers, etc, I lived in Mitford st 1946 to 1964 at number 9,and attended St Edmund's 1951 to 1961, Left the uk in 1966 and live in Australia, b4 I left the uk I lived on Langley estate for 2 years,Paul littlewood signing off till later,any reply will be answered.

highview

« Reply #12 on: 23:57:50, 09/10/13 »
I was at Burgess St from 1945 to 1955 I remember that all the kids used to go to Gottelies the ice cream shop and the temperance bars. We went to Alfred Street for metal work and woodwork then to Beech Mount for Domestic science. On our last week we made a leaving cake and took around to some of the other classes. Brian Taylor, Raymond Shaw, Brenda Jackson and Olive Fitzgerald.

diane57

« Reply #13 on: 04:22:03, 02/11/13 »
Hello All.
I was born in 1957 and went to Burgess Street School too. I lived with my mum and grandparents at Crossley's sweetshop on Rochdale Road, just in front of the school, and learnt to swim at Harpurhey baths. I have many happy memories of Queens Park - the sandpit and the museum. I even remember my nursery school days at Burgess St, we had little canvas beds that we used to use for our afternoon sleep. I also remember primary school days when we learnt French - the only French I remember now! We lived next to Mottershead's bakery, the hairdressers, and the Derby Arms pub.  The other way was Staley's fruit and veg, Billy the Butcher and the chemist on the end.  I remember playing on the croft (where we used to have bonfires) opposite the school, and playing at the Red Rec in the playground and also collecting those yellow and black spotted caterpillars in matchboxes. Opposite Burgess Street school was another school with a covered playground. I remember being 'Grumpy' in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, doing a dance to Telstar, and painting plaster of paris figurines at the after school club.  There are pictures of Burgess Street school on the internet, and also a couple of class photos too (I still have most of mine somewhere!).  These days I live on the South Coast, but don't ever forget my roots!

Luckymuppet

« Reply #14 on: 00:15:51, 04/12/13 »
My family is from the harpurhey area, pickering st, Appleby st etc I would be great full of any stories, I have a picture of Alfred st school, class photo of infant sixes 1946 but unfortunately it to large a file to post, so if you want it I can send it to you. So does any one remember these names from that time in the area, kennedy, Webster or bird. There was a Charles William Webster and his wife ada (she was blind) and there kids, Fred kennedy (my dad) any way a little knowledge can be a big help.