Author Topic: Harpurhey memories  (Read 60648 times)

arthurchappell

Re: Harpurhey memories
« Reply #15 on: 18:45:16, 14/12/13 »
i used conran street market a lot especially for second hand books
Arthur Chappell, writer,  Civil War Re-enactor, ex-cult member, socialite  http://arthurchappell.me.uk/

Facebook - http://profile.to/arthurchappell/

Slaphead

« Reply #16 on: 18:48:16, 16/12/13 »
Hi all born in 1958, lived at 21 Turkey lane, happy days going down Turkey Lane on a home made bogey.
Any old memories or contacts can contact me at 07990540921
Regards

Dave Evans

Slaphead

« Reply #17 on: 21:19:43, 16/12/13 »
Hi my name is Dave Evans,  used to live at 21 Turkey Lane born in 1958, mamma caz has posted on here sure that must have been Carol Eyers who moved to Mersey Drive Whitefield in the late 1960 s
Good neighbours,
If you are there Carol get in touch, 07990540921
Regards

Dave

julie

« Reply #18 on: 19:32:49, 17/12/13 »
hello there do we call you Mr. Slap or Mr head? just calling you slap head seems a little rude after so short an acquaintance. Aha your name is Dave Thats better. Why do they call you slap head then?
fate keeps on happening

Slaphead

« Reply #19 on: 08:27:28, 18/12/13 »
Hi Julie,

You might say I am foillically challenged, bald! LOL.
Did you live on Turkey Lane?
Regards

Dave

diane57

« Reply #20 on: 14:04:40, 19/12/13 »
I found this picture of Burgess Street School (hope it will upload). Dave, I used to travel to school with Carol after we had both moved to Whitefield!

Slaphead

« Reply #21 on: 09:12:11, 20/12/13 »
Hi Diane, Remember it well,  happy days, are you still in contact with Carol? I live in North Wales now near Chester.

Regards

Dave

Jim44

« Reply #22 on: 19:58:35, 20/12/13 »
Great photo. When was Burgess St. school demolished.

dougle

« Reply #23 on: 11:55:13, 01/01/14 »
I did a post in April on my memories of Harpurhey and quite a lot has been added since by other folk. We Lived at 17 Turkey Lane next to the Hippodrome. My closest relatives were my cousins, Mary, Jean and Eileen Ward who lived in Westmorland St. I spent most of my time there and use to play on the `hills` just nearby almost up to Monsall St Hospital. I remember two chip shops, one was Pendleburys on Turkey Lane, the other was Lords near my cousins. I used to deliver papers for Aldridges Newsagents and get penny cigs from a little lady we called Eenie, all on the same street. We all went to Burgess St with the dreaded Ms Hornsby, and can remember Mr McLean ateacher who married Ms Gillespie; also Mr Gibson and Mr Rooney. If you want to see a picture of Burgess St just search for `Harpurhey Old Schools` Christ Church isn`t mentioned, I don`t know why. I remember Ms Hornsby`s ban on Christmas Party making the Manchester Evening News My childhood sweetheart was Audrey Thaw who lived on Conran Street , Her dad was an artist. My pal until we left Burgess Street was Roy Young a great footballer. Great years and great friends!!
John Mackenzie

dougle

« Reply #24 on: 13:19:02, 01/01/14 »
Some more names from Old Harpurhey; Mr Beresford, sports teacher at Burgess St. Miss West Infant School Teacher (cod liver oil and orange juice) Miss Woodfine (?Woodbine) Infant Headteacher. Turkey Lane names, Johnny and Carol Silka, Arthur and Joyce Wildman. Mr `Fat` Radley (Hippodrome Manager) Terry, and ErnieKnott, Eddie and Richard Whitehurst, Cliff and Dennis Moss, the Sadler boys, Fletchers Corner Shop, Arthur Crawford, Peter and Jack Fentem, Harry Lowe, Leslie Hogg, Elizabeth Salt (Greengrocers) Gillespies (Ice cream) Conran St, Skelhorns Jewellers, `Bill The Barber`,Maureen Skelhorn, Herbert Gator (cobbler)Joey Hardy and Cliff Windows,Ronnie Young and finally my sweetheart at twelve, Olga Markham and her friend June Miller. I hope perhaps that you might find a name there that brings back happy memories. My name is John Mackenzie, cheers!!
John Mackenzie

diane57

« Reply #25 on: 00:15:09, 05/01/14 »
Thought I would upload this picture of Christ Church School. The chemist on the corner was on the same block of shops where I lived. Happy memories!

diane57

« Reply #26 on: 01:04:33, 05/01/14 »
The old Derby Arms in front of Burgess Street School on Rochdale Road. Living only 3 shops away, I heard many a brawl outside of here at the weekend!

dougle

« Reply #27 on: 11:39:59, 05/01/14 »
Thank you for the picture of Christ Church school. It did not feature a great in our daily school life at Burgess Street, maybe a bit of rivalry but nothing sinister. Having said that. looking at the picture did bring a lump to my throat and lots of related memories of all of the children at both schools. I think sometimes that I live more in the past than present.
John Mackenzie

Adsum

« Reply #28 on: 13:36:25, 05/01/14 »
This was my late father in law, Clifford Stiles business. it was on the corner of Alfred St. and Rochdale road.
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

dougle

« Reply #29 on: 14:37:21, 05/01/14 »
Thank you for the picture of Stiles Funeral Directors, I do remember them well. I think that there was another Stiles Funeral Directors on the corner of Queens Rd and Rochdale Rd, Harpurhey. I think `Nobby Stiles` of Manchester United and England was related ? Not sure, but thanks once again. I feel soaked with nostalgia today, it`s a good feeling.
John Mackenzie