Author Topic: Harpurhey memories  (Read 60646 times)

Adsum

Re: Harpurhey memories
« Reply #30 on: 14:44:48, 05/01/14 »
Clifford had a brother Charles Stiles, and you are correct he did have a funeral directors business. I can't be certain but I think it was closer to Moston lane on Rochdale road. Charles was the father of Norbert, (Nobby) Stiles. Incidentally the C in C Stiles stands for the founder of the business Catherine Stiles.
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

diane57

« Reply #31 on: 01:18:28, 07/01/14 »
First, I have no idea where Turkey Lane was. I lived on Rochdale Road - can you help me try to remember? Also, does anybody remember going to the chip shop on Conran Street (I think) to get a penny bag of scrapings (all the crunchy bits left over from the fish and chips). I remember feeling very lucky if you got a bit of potato, and more than lucky if you got a bit of fish in them!

dougle

« Reply #32 on: 09:24:23, 07/01/14 »
If you can remember Queens Park, where Rochdale Rd went by it forked right to Conran St, and just south of this was Turkey lane with it`s main attraction the Hippodrome. I vaguely remember the chip shop that you mention but we had two close by, Pendlebury`s on Turkey Lane itself, and Lords on Lathbury Rd.
John Mackenzie

Jim44

« Reply #33 on: 21:14:53, 07/01/14 »
[quote author=Adsum
Clifford had a brother Charles Stiles, and you are correct he did have a funeral directors business. I can't be certain but I think it was closer to Moston lane on Rochdale road. Charles was the father of Norbert, (Nobby) Stiles. Incidentally the C in C Stiles stands for the founder of the business Catherine Stiles.

They seemed to have 'shops' all over north and east Manchester. I remember the one on Hyde Rd in Ardwick, I went to school with his son Cliff. Good lad. Bump into him occasionally

Hideaway69

« Reply #34 on: 10:26:14, 08/01/14 »
First, I have no idea where Turkey Lane was. I lived on Rochdale Road - can you help me try to remember? Also, does anybody remember going to the chip shop on Conran Street (I think) to get a penny bag of scrapings (all the crunchy bits left over from the fish and chips). I remember feeling very lucky if you got a bit of potato, and more than lucky if you got a bit of fish in them!

In 1963 there were at least 3 Chippy's on Conran St.

#15 Conran St;  T Parnell
#71 "               "  Sydney Roach
#240 "             "  Tom's
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

audrey

« Reply #35 on: 23:02:35, 31/03/14 »
I have just found this site and find it so interesting,  I lived at the bottom of Turkey Lance, number 37, with my parents and brother Brian, Sister Joyce and Sylvia. Who remembers Rileys Works at the bottom of the lane, we used to play ball on the wall. I know the people who lived in the works yard had a boy but he never seemed to bother with any of us kids. Margaret Reeves, Jennifer Ames, are you out there.

dougle

« Reply #36 on: 11:11:11, 01/04/14 »
I was born 1939 so I`m probably much older than yourself. We Lived at No 17, next to the Hippodrome. I remember Rileys well and was mesmerised by their new car. The Germans tried to bomb Rileys but sadly it was the terraced houses that were blitzed and we just lived each day as if it was our last. The family that I can remember most living at the bottom of Turkey lane was the Hallidays and their son Michael played street football with us. They were grim days in many ways but the comradeship with all of the families made up for the fear and anxiety.
John Mackenzie

audrey

« Reply #37 on: 17:32:40, 01/04/14 »
I am the youngest of the Halliday family, born in 1949, Michael, as you call him was Charlie, no idea why he wanted to be Michael, went off to Australia and lost touch with his family, found his kids after 30years but he seems to have disappeared.  Then there was Joe, he married when I was three. Plus all the rest of us. Do you remember the Ames, they lived on the next block up, and Jemison lived next door to us at 39, they had a son, but was much older than me.

audrey

« Reply #38 on: 17:34:54, 01/04/14 »
Do you remember the lad on Westmorland Street who got killed on Christmas Eve in the bombing, he was a friend of my sister Joyce and had found his new bike for Christmas and had shown it her, he told her not to tell anyone and she was 80 before she did. Shame really I am sure his mother who was injured in the bombing would have liked to have known.

dougle

« Reply #39 on: 10:36:27, 02/04/14 »
My cousins Mary, Jean and Eileen Ward lived on Westmorland St and I always remember how badly the homes had been hit just on the corner, just staring at what was left of the homes and thinking of the families, but can`t remember any names (sorry about the change in text I`ll sort it out later)
John Mackenzie

audrey

« Reply #40 on: 21:18:01, 03/04/14 »
I think my sister Joyce may know your cousins, I will ask her this weekend. My cousin Jean Stansfield lived in Westmoreland Street, first house on the right if you walked up from Turkey Lane.  The family who had the house bombed and lost a son was the Turners, they lived on the left side at the top end just before Lathbury Road.  I remember the Mannion's taking over the corner shop on Westmoreland Street and Turkey Lane, they had a son Eddie who cut a couple of demo discs. I was about 5 at the time.
As for the hippodrome, when it closed, my mates and I found we could get in through a back door and used to go in a look at all the costumes that had been left behind, wish I had brought some out now.

Cowboy Dan

« Reply #41 on: 03:55:28, 16/05/14 »
My mother, Frances Makin Frain, was raised at 218 Upper Conran.  She met my dad at Tommy Ducks in 1943.  One thing led to another, slowly, and in about ten years, they'd married and I came along.

I spent almost a year there in 1956-7, and went to Moston Lane School.  My sister was born at Crumpsall Hospital in January 1957 and baptised, I believe, at Christ Church, Harpurhey. We were there Palm Sunday, but Father Mike couldn't easily access records from that far back.  We met a lovely bunch of people there, but no one could remember back that far.  Most of the congregation hadn't yet been born when we were there before.

We went to the Moston Lane School and looked through the fence.  Nothing looked familiar.  We went to a pub called, I believe, The Plowman's Arms.  Susie, the owner, said she'd ask some of her older customers if they might have known my relatives, but we haven't heard in a month.  We may not.  It's been a long tim since there were Makins on Upper Conran.

My grandfather was Thomas Makin, and in addition to my mother, had children named Tommy, Hilda, and Agnes.  Agnes also married a Yank &  moved to the States.  Tommy & Hilda remained in the Manchester area for the rest of their lives.  Tommy had two sons, Thomas and Michael. Michael died young in a fire at work.  Hilda married Shawn O'Neal, and they had several children.  I'm not sure I ever met them all, but there was a Shawn, a Dierdre, a Patricia, and there may have been others.  For whatever reasons, our family wasn't close.

If you know or know of any Makins from Harpurhey, I'd like to hear from you.

millyvanilly

« Reply #42 on: 20:48:21, 24/11/14 »
Hi All,

No memories of Harpurhey myself but I know my nana (Langley)was born at number 9 Lilley street, harpurhey in 1920. I know she lived there until at least 1935 when her father died and her mother was widowed. Lilley street doesn't show on any maps I can find? does it still exist and if not where was it? Also, I know it's a long time ago but does any one remember a Woodman and Bidder steeplejacks/builders that was around the area at the time? The Woodman name would be that of my Great Grandfather?

Thanks for reading.

migky

« Reply #43 on: 22:26:59, 24/11/14 »
Hi & welcome Millyvanilly :)

Now the only streets i can see that might be the one your looking for are:
Lilley Street but Miles platting just off Dickens street.
Lily street , Crumpsall
& Lily lane, Moston?
Post the full details of your Nana & husband. Maiden name, date of birth, when married and that way we stand a chance of finding the right ones at the right address.

Migky  :)
« Last Edit: 22:30:03, 24/11/14 by migky »
I'm a bit like Marmite

daisynook

« Reply #44 on: 12:08:33, 09/08/15 »
I am trying this forum on the off chance of finding information.  I'm going back many years so nobody may have any answers but may know someone who knows.  My mother was born above the McMullen's tailors shop on Conran Street in 1921.  There were a few shops in the area, haberdashers and milliners on Conran Street and another on Thomas Street and there was a large family involved.
I am looking for any photo's of shops that may still be in existence.   :)