Author Topic: Harpurhey memories  (Read 60650 times)

daisynook

Re: Harpurhey memories
« Reply #45 on: 11:07:44, 23/08/15 »
Following on from my last post, I have recently discovered that one of the shops I'm looking for was on a V shaped corner of Conran Street with Rochdale Road near Turkey Lane.  Anybody knew it?

Manx

« Reply #46 on: 17:27:17, 25/08/15 »
@daisynook,

Not sure it will help but this 1968 shot of Conran Street corner with Rochdale Road shows the L.Loofe shop. (prams) - the likely address being "Rochdale road"

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=15076&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=12119

On the opposite corner where Turkey Lane started was the Trustee Savings bank, 1958 (no prams in the L.Loofe shop, looks like shirts etc'?)

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=15395&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=38297

..on the corner opposite the bank was the Queens Park union Baptist Chapel.

daisynook

« Reply #47 on: 08:45:16, 26/08/15 »
Thank you so much Manx.  I have a good feeling that the pram shop is the place.  I will now do some research, see if I can find anything about L. Loofe.  Shame I can't see the numbers on any of the buildings as I know the numbers on Conran Street where the shops were that I'm looking for.  Thanks again

Hideaway69

« Reply #48 on: 15:00:42, 26/08/15 »
Thank you so much Manx.  I have a good feeling that the pram shop is the place.  I will now do some research, see if I can find anything about L. Loofe.  Shame I can't see the numbers on any of the buildings as I know the numbers on Conran Street where the shops were that I'm looking for.  Thanks again

L Loofe & Son,  is listed as a Tailor situated at 442 Rochdale Road.In the 1963 Trade Directory
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

daisynook

« Reply #49 on: 17:08:22, 26/08/15 »
Thank you for that information Hideaway, that's very interesting.  Will try looking into that further.

Manx

« Reply #50 on: 11:45:49, 03/09/15 »
@daisynook,

Assuming this hasn't been done already, i would suggest to contact the two grandsons of L.Loofe the founder of the stores over 60 years ago, they are still trading in Bury, they may well be able to provide details, photo's or knowledge of other addresses taken over at that time. 'Loofes clothing'  have an on line page with contact details.

regards

daisynook

« Reply #51 on: 12:17:34, 03/09/15 »
Thank you Manx for the suggestion, good idea, I will try that.

dowse

« Reply #52 on: 18:16:44, 28/09/15 »
My family lived in harpurhey many years ago, in the old flats/maisonettes on Lathbury road.

kevster1967

« Reply #53 on: 15:38:17, 28/10/15 »
My family was from Merton st in Harpurhey myself and my brother went to a school on Rochdale rd and across from the school  was queens park. we later moved to Middleton in 1972.

briggsy

« Reply #54 on: 20:35:45, 19/03/16 »
Hello Audrey, you must of lived near I used to live then, Eddie Mannion was a good friend of mine, he lived across the road from my on Lilly Street at the top end, unfortuantely he got Run over on Rochdale Road I heard and was badly injured, never recoverd. I used to work at rileys and

briggsy

« Reply #55 on: 20:44:37, 19/03/16 »
carrying on from my last post, I got cut short, well I also worked at the Turkey Lane works and lived at the very last house on Lily Street near butchers company and st edmunds School where my sisters Lynn and Lesley both went to.

briggsy

« Reply #56 on: 12:53:58, 20/03/16 »
Hello Audrey, I sent you a message in reply to yours but you may not of received it as it was quite a while since you posted the  message on here, I am referring to the Message that you mentioned a very good friend of mine on, Eddie Mannion, did you by any chance know what teh record was called that he Made, the problem at teh time I recall was that Eddie was on top of the pops and it is said that he was too much like Cliff Richards who was just starting out at the time also. I would love to be able to get the record that he made but don't know off hand what it was called. any ideas, anyone?

Manx

« Reply #57 on: 10:13:08, 23/03/16 »
For briggsy....

Eddie Mannion - Just Driftin 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbQIzTZUiM

briggsy

« Reply #58 on: 14:59:20, 23/03/16 »
Thank you. I don't suppose you have any idea where I can get hold of a copy you?. Alan

Thorney

« Reply #59 on: 10:43:32, 28/03/16 »
Bought my first shirt at Loofe's ! cost me 10 shillings in 1963.I used to live in Lathbury Rd,joined the army in 1965 and would love to hear from anyone I knew.thorney