Author Topic: People who worked in Manchester?  (Read 22397 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: People who worked in Manchester?
« Reply #30 on: 18:20:51, 29/06/13 »
So many on here have worked at Lewises or have fond memories of the store
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Mancunianintheheart

« Reply #31 on: 12:59:50, 01/07/13 »
Hi to all,
maybe one of you can help me with my search.
I'm trying to find out the name of an hotel where I worked between the end of 2000 and the beginning of 2001. Now it's a Premier Inn, but at that time had a different name. It's near the Bridgewater Hall, Gmex and the Midlands Hotel.
If somebody could remember that I would really appriciated it.
Thanks,
:-)

julie

« Reply #32 on: 18:15:44, 01/07/13 »
I worked at a place called Harveys overalls oldham rd Middleton. Lord it was more of a finishing school really we had fun growing up all us teenage girls flirting with the mechanics planning nights out it was peice work no elf and safety cos we didn't need it shouldn't I imagine it would be allowed now though, sexism was rife.Lord,p'raps I'm looking back with rose tainted glasses :P but hey it was the 70's whata  decade. Whenever anyone called us a bird we'd comment on the worms who picked us up.
Yet things have got better both sexes have grown up and now sexism isn't as prominant I enjoyed it though oh my o/h worked at the midland hotel i'll ask him

fate keeps on happening

DAVE GRIBBEN

« Reply #33 on: 20:23:51, 15/09/13 »
I started work aged 15 in 1957 at Baxendale Glass on Rochdale Rd Collyhurst.

diverden

« Reply #34 on: 19:36:33, 18/09/13 »
I started work in 1962 age 15 as an apprentice painter and decorator for charles bell ,Manchester Ltd of 177 cheetham hill Rd,we use to do work all over the north west,sadly than are no longer in existence. :)

jayceedove

« Reply #35 on: 19:53:30, 18/09/13 »
My dad worked at Henry Wallworks - the iron foundry on Red Bank in the 50s - 80s. They went under in the 1980s recession. My mum was a dinner lady at Heald Place school in the late 50s/early 60s.

diane57

« Reply #36 on: 00:20:50, 06/11/13 »
I started work aged 15 in 1957 at Baxendale Glass on Rochdale Rd Collyhurst.
My granddad worked at Baxendale Glass in 1957, he was called Bill (William) Crossley. He got a silver (well chrome) tea set, and carriage clock when he retired -you may have known him!

Me:

1973-75 - Berman and Co Ltd (telephonist receptionist) Lloyd St, Cheetham. near Strangeways.

1975-79 - Trained and worked as a nurse at The Victoria Jewish Memorial Hospital, Crumpsall/Delauneys,  Booth Hall and the Northern Hospital.

1979-1990 Worked as a District Nurse in Radcliffe and Bury.

REUBEN LAZARUS

« Reply #37 on: 08:18:28, 19/11/13 »
BUS CONDUCTOR 1958 BUS DRIVER TILL 1967 WITH MANCHESTER TRANSPORT. IN 1967 WENT TO MELBOURNE IN AUSTRALIA   AS TRAM CONDUCTOR/TRAM DRIVER.TILL RETIREMENT AS TRAMCAR /BUS INSPECTOR IN 2004.

Helly

« Reply #38 on: 22:44:52, 27/01/15 »
I worked at Littlewoods in the food hall back in 1978..i remember Jane and Chris on the bread counter, and Denise on the bacon counter, and Mike from the butchers who like the song 'Oliver Army'.....great canteen and staff room facilities.
I also worked at House of Fraser aka Kendals, In the DPAO office, from 1985-1991, great bunch of girls, Janice and Janet, Trisha, Maisie ,Nora, Pat, Jean, John, Valerie, Omar, Liz, Bob, Tess, MR Scaife, Mr Mulcahey, Diane, Mary, Beryl, Helen....oh so many to mention....Happy days :)

Gill Sadler

« Reply #39 on: 11:28:19, 09/02/15 »
I started my working career as an office junior on the 1st June 1976 for a chartered accountants (Smith Atkins), later known as Wheawill & Sudworth. We shared offices with a law firm Albert Aboudi Hyde, later known as Albert Aboudi Landes.  The office was based at St James Buildings, 89 Oxford Street (opposite Tootals).  I remember a few work colleagues - Carol Edwards, Karen Cornwall, Carol Martin, Jan (sorry can't quite remember her surname, she lived in Great Sankey I think. Surname could possibly have been Jenkins ?) There was an American Sandwich Bar just outside the main entrance. First time I had ever tasted rye bread!!

apexblue

« Reply #40 on: 18:17:48, 09/02/15 »
I worked at Sight & Sound Secretarial College on Princess Street in the early 80's.  The building is now apartments.

Then BIS in the building on the corner of Deansgate/Blackfriars.

After work haunts included Hortes in St Ann's Square and was it Ronnie's Bar at the top?

Geoff Gartside

« Reply #41 on: 14:25:46, 30/07/21 »
I worked at Wallworks from 1958 till 1964 as Electrician

lozflan

« Reply #42 on: 10:33:50, 31/07/21 »
Another hidden nugget hidden away in the Forum,wow ,and posters who didn't stay but left their mark.
Baxendales Glass was my first,"go to " place when a window needed repair in the 50s.
Wallworks was then Cary's Springs and just down the street.
Most of my work places Iv'e already mentioned elsewhere.
Henleys, Monte's garage, Wm Higgins Bricks, [old]Smithfield Market.
Amystery one [forgot name] in Park Place which may have been the original Northern Hospital building,made I think ladies hats ,only saw the boxes.
Euston  Hotel Fleetwood, Merchant Navy ,that's the first 7 yrs. done.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Cook

« Reply #43 on: 20:19:24, 31/07/21 »
I worked at Clayton Aniline from around 1969.   They paid for me and a small group of others to spend a year at Stretford Tech doing chemistry.   Following that year we went to work at the plant in Clayton.   I was given a job in one of the research labs - the chemist in charge was Dr Roger Bentley.   Dr Potts was the eccentric down the corridor.

zuludog

« Reply #44 on: 09:11:00, 17/08/21 »
How far out of Manchester is still classed as Manchester on this Forum?

The first job I had after leaving school was as a lab technician at The CWS Confectionery and Preserves Works, Reddish
I think it's all gone & demolished now

Then I moved to ABM Chemicals, Woodley, between Stockport and Hyde, where I got an HNC by day release

Those were my 'proper' full time jobs, but I also worked on Saturdays at Stubbs Outdoor Sports, a camping & outdoor shop on Deansgate

Then I moved away from Manchester, but visited now & again