Author Topic: WW11 bombing of Manchester.  (Read 2665 times)

dougle

WW11 bombing of Manchester.
« on: 15:43:35, 09/02/13 »
In Harpurhey we were bombed nightly, but many homes were wiped out. Are you a survivor of these raids? If you could get to an underground air raid shelter you was safe.
John Mackenzie

LAgal

Re: WW11 bombing of Manchester.
« Reply #1 on: 13:41:15, 10/02/13 »
I lived in Hightown during those nightly bombings except while  we were evacuated.  The sirens would go, I'd put on my siren suit over my nightgown, throw my gasmask over my shoulder and my Mom and I would run out to the community shelter in the back alley.  It was better being with all the neighbours and we would sing until the all clear sounded and then we'd go home.  In the morning my friends and I went out and collected shrapnel.  I was too young then to know that shrapnel was the remains of exploded bombs but I remember the throbbing sound of the German planes flying over and the whistling sound of the bombs as they were falling.  Our singing didn't drown out those sounds!!

dougle

« Reply #2 on: 18:06:01, 11/02/13 »
Lagal, thank you for sharing those memories. I remember my dad, home on compassionate leave, tucking me up in blankets as the siren sounded, and rushed to the street`s undergroung bomb proof shelter. I will always rememb er looking up at the sky as dad rushed to the shelter, and seeing search lights pick out the bombers. Even as a baby I thought the experience was eerie, but now as an older man, the image taked ona more sinister cloak.

John Mackenzie

Collegiateboy

« Reply #3 on: 13:48:19, 19/04/13 »
Some houses were bombed in Heywood St and Brideoak St Cheetham

dougle

« Reply #4 on: 17:55:59, 19/04/13 »
I think that we were heavily bombed in the Turkey Lane area because of a factory at the bottom of the lane, which didn`t get hit.
John Mackenzie

Davidm

« Reply #5 on: 18:28:10, 26/02/22 »
I found an interactive map on the MEN website with every fatality from the 1940 bombings.  Do a search on MEN website

lozflan

« Reply #6 on: 07:47:41, 28/02/22 »
Yes I was there.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

ExileSteve

« Reply #7 on: 16:33:02, 01/03/22 »
I found an interactive map on the MEN website with every fatality from the 1940 bombings.  Do a search on MEN website

Thank you for this information. I will look it up this evening.