Author Topic: Rusholme in the 60s  (Read 87296 times)

MargaretB

Re: Rusholme in the 60s
« Reply #45 on: 16:22:34, 06/07/14 »
Ooops, that was not the photo I intended to post!  Sorry!  But that one makes me laugh because of the copper standing in the puddle!

MargaretB

« Reply #46 on: 16:26:05, 06/07/14 »
And you may as well see the actual torch!

jean

« Reply #47 on: 19:42:33, 06/07/14 »
Great photos MargaretB thankyou,loved the Policeman in a puddle. ;D

soulman1949

« Reply #48 on: 19:49:26, 06/07/14 »
Thanks Margaret, great photos. Yes I know that spot very well! Last year I took some photos in that stretch of Wilmslow Road of a procession commemorating an Islamic figure, if I get a chance I'll see if I can dig them out and post some!

Alan

tuffy52

« Reply #49 on: 09:29:20, 07/07/14 »
Bad memories of 1960s Rusholme,staying at a 'place' on Ackers Street just at the back of The Holy Name when I heard the news that JFK had been assassinated on Nov 22 1963,then the next day I was beaten up by a gang and spent days in hospital,never lived there again.
Holding on to anger is like drinking poison.

MargaretB

« Reply #50 on: 09:34:20, 07/07/14 »
Holy Name and Ackers Street are in Chorlton-on-Medlock - or C-on-M as more commonly known.

Funnily enough I remember running along Ackers Street on that date in November 1963 with my friend and hearing from some adults about the assassination. There was something on at the Holy Name that Friday evening and we were selling tickets for the annual Sale of Work.  Very Irish Catholic neighbourhood so there was quite a discussion and shock at the events.

tuffy52

« Reply #51 on: 09:49:47, 07/07/14 »
It was a gang of Irish who beat me up,ba****ds.

You are of course correct it is C on M,I blame my old age.

However after leaving Ackers St I then rented a flat on Hathersage Rd near the baths,they were good times lots going on and it was the Swinging Sixties (say no more).
I think Hathersage Rd is on the border with Longsight.
« Last Edit: 10:00:09, 07/07/14 by tuffy52 »
Holding on to anger is like drinking poison.

MargaretB

« Reply #52 on: 12:49:22, 07/07/14 »
My older brothers talked about High Street Baths and it took a while for me to find out they had renamed High Street to Hathersage Road. 

Now they are known as Victoria Baths. 

soulman1949

« Reply #53 on: 13:15:04, 07/07/14 »
Sorry to hear that tuffy52, the outskirts of the city centre were tough areas at times, although I didn't have any bad experiences like that, more by luck than anything else.

I'd forgotten it used to be High Street. Remember the Baths being featured in an episode of Prime Suspect. Not sure if the restoration work on the baths has been completed, since I no longer have a car I don't get up there.

The area around Hathersage Road near the baths is Victoria Park, when you get to the Stockport Road end and cross over the main road then yes that's Longsight.

We lived on a street between Lloyd Street and Greenheys Lane. In my later years of secondary school at Central on Kirkmanshulme Lane when we finished our exams in summer I would sometimes walk home cutting through High Street and then Whitworth Park on my way home.

maggi

« Reply #54 on: 20:11:15, 07/07/14 »
Thanks for the pics.  They did jog my memory, I walked along that road so many times in the 60/70s

My aunt used to have that pub....the Huntsman, in the 60s, (Jackson was their name)

Keep me coming

debussy

« Reply #55 on: 22:07:15, 20/08/14 »
Love.all memories of Rusholme.I grew up in the 60s in Hancock Street which was demolished in early 70s.went to Heald place school
And attended Platt Church.so many places and characters in rusholme.trocadero cinema Johnny berry cycle shop.there was even a violin shop on wilmslow road called voights

debussy

« Reply #56 on: 22:51:01, 20/08/14 »
Maggi
Was your friend Shirley called Shirley Coombs she was in my class at Heald place school

maggi

« Reply #57 on: 14:04:33, 02/09/14 »
I have replied to this 3 times,
can't see it though?

My friend was Shirley Boyce  had a brother called John,
they lived in the council maisonettes,
another person who lived in them was Paul Brett.

Trying to remember names,
Heyes family lived on Walmer St.
As did the Skellys.

more will come back to me, Debussy

there is also a message from Soulman, I lived on Lloyd St, C-on-M,

debussy

« Reply #58 on: 22:08:43, 01/10/14 »
I had forgotten about that pub on that little end of Princess Street where you lived maggi.That definitely was Coronation St in the 60s!My cousins lived on that little bit of Princess Street.There was some steep steps up to that chip shop on the other corner as well.

maggi

« Reply #59 on: 08:22:53, 02/10/14 »
Hi Debussy

I lived on the little end of Princess Street?  What were your cousins surname,
there were only 19 houses, 7 on one side 12 on the other?

The little pub was right at the other end, towards Platt Fields, was'nt it?
Was it the Osborne?

Yes I suppose it was like Coronation Street,
and the Grocers had high steps opp the chippy too

more memories please O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0