Author Topic: WIMBLEDON 2013  (Read 10897 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: WIMBLEDON 2013
« Reply #15 on: 18:40:56, 01/07/13 »
Andy Murray survived some nervous moments to beat Mikhail Youzhny and reach the quarter-finals on another day of drama at Wimbledon.
The second seed won 6-4 7-6 (7-5) 6-1 to make the last eight for the sixth year in a row at the All England Club.
He is now the only Briton remaining in the singles after Laura Robson lost to Estonia's Kaia Kanpei on Court One, and will face Spain's Fernando Verdasco on Wednesday.
Murray had arrived on Centre Court as the crowd were still digesting Serena Williams's surprise loss to Sabine Lisicki, but the Scot was not about to suffer a similar fate.
He was in danger of being drawn into a lengthy battle in an edgy second set, but came through in the tie-break and wrapped things up after two hours and 37 minutes.
A straightforward afternoon seemed to be unfolding when Murray played a terrific game that included a deft half-volley, a deadly backhand lob and a brilliant forehand pass, to lead by a set and a break.
What followed was distinctly unimpressive, however, with his serve faltering and Russian 20th seed Youzhny taking full advantage.
When Murray double-faulted to drop serve for the second game in succession and then fell 5-2 behind, he was under real pressure for the first time in the tournament.
Youzhny, playing in the last 16 at Wimbledon for the eighth time, had his chance to level when he served for the set, but after seeing off two break-back points he could do nothing about a Murray forehand on the third.
The Scot was still searching for consistency, and another double-fault saw him change ends 4-2 down in the tie-break, but the most delicate of drop shots shifted the momentum.
Murray cracked a cross-court backhand winner on set point and, after Youzhny received treatment on his shoulder, the third set was a one-sided affair.
The Russian tamely handed over his serve in the second game and Murray broke for the fifth time before sealing victory with a blistering forehand and a serve-volley.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 07:38:07, 04/07/13 »

john carrington

« Reply #17 on: 10:35:10, 04/07/13 »
Flippen eck Celeste that is so yesterday......................LOL........
Please I don't require moral guidance, well perhaps a little..

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 15:42:32, 04/07/13 »
France's Marion Bartoli swept past Belgian Kirsten Flipkens in little over an hour to reach her second Wimbledon final.
Bartoli, the 15th seed, played brilliantly to win 6-1 6-2 and return to the final six years after she lost out to Venus Williams.

“I just cannot believe it, I played so well” </blockquote>Marion Bartoli  She will play Polish fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska or Germany's 23rd seed Sabine Lisicki for the title on Sunday.
Bartoli, 28, has been near the top of the statistics for returning serve throughout the tournament and her flat groundstrokes caused Flipkens problems from the opening moments.
The Belgian 20th seed struggled to find any rhythm and dropped serve immediately, finally getting on the board with a hold after 16 minutes to trail 3-1.
Bartoli was well and truly in command though, and she broke once again with a terrific game that included a winning lob, a pass down the line and a thumping drive volley.
An ace out wide wrapped up the set in just 27 minutes and the Frenchwoman's dream start continued with a stunning lob to break at the start of the second.

When the rampant Bartoli broke once again for 3-0, Flipkens called for the trainer and took a medical timeout for a knee problem.
There was a flicker of hope for the Belgian on the resumption as she got one of the breaks back, but a spectacular return winner and a seventh successful lob put Bartoli 4-1 in front.
With a second Wimbledon final in sight, she held her nerve impressively to put away a smash on match point after just 62 minutes.
"I just cannot believe it, I played so well," Bartoli told BBC Sport.
"I think she was a bit injured. She deserves a lot of credit, but it must be hard to be injured in the semi-final at Wimbledon.
"I saw the ball like a football. I hit it cleanly from the start. To play so well in the semi-final at Wimbledon is an amazing feeling."

Cupcake

« Reply #19 on: 16:25:19, 04/07/13 »
Did you see Del Potro?  Andy Murray's comeback was splendid, but for Del Potro to even get up after falling like that was astonishing, and to win in straight sets carrying that injury was absolutely incredible grit.  I am tempted to say he deserves to win it...... :-[

I'm not following the ladies so well.  Maybe it's just me, but where the men's game seems to have a pool of familiar names over time, the women's game lately seems to throw up a new crop of quarter finalists every year.  I watched two matches the other day and hadn't heard of even one of the four players before. 
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 16:30:01, 04/07/13 »
I do lose interest unless the players are familiar - what a pity Serena went after Maria Sharapova, it might have inspired the latter.

It's a bit off when a seedless player removes a top seed  then fails in the next round, all for nothing really  :-\

I recall you are not an Andy Murray fan  ;) - I think he'll be glad David Ferrer went out

john carrington

« Reply #21 on: 16:59:24, 04/07/13 »
Lisicki wins yes...............Beautiful with it too phwaah......... 8)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 17:00:24, 04/07/13 »
Did you see Del Potro?  Andy Murray's comeback was splendid, but for Del Potro to even get up after falling like that was astonishing, and to win in straight sets carrying that injury was absolutely incredible grit.  I am tempted to say he deserves to win it...... :-[ 

No didn't see the Del Potro match, must have a google O0

« Last Edit: 17:06:20, 04/07/13 by celeste »

Cupcake

« Reply #23 on: 17:03:47, 04/07/13 »
I recall you are not an Andy Murray fan  ;) - I think he'll be glad David Ferrer went out

I am in favour of a Brit winning, and he's certainly worked for it long enough. I'd cheer for him against anyone else there.   I'm not a particular tennis fan at all, though.  I only like it on grass courts, so Wimbledon is pretty much the only time I watch it.   

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 17:08:28, 04/07/13 »
Grass courts for me too, hope he wins and yet if he's going to lose would it be better if he went out in the semi-final rather than the final? :-\

Cupcake

« Reply #25 on: 17:21:38, 04/07/13 »
Clearly not for him - the prize money goes up per round!  ;D 

If he can't win it this year, I doubt he ever will.  He's on top form, many other seeds have gone out early and half the remaining field are injured from skidding on wet grass!   

exclaytoner

« Reply #26 on: 09:47:52, 05/07/13 »
will we be cheering for our great British hope or will it be Scottish dope :o
experience is what you get when you don't stop trying

john carrington

« Reply #27 on: 10:15:38, 05/07/13 »
does it matter I can't see anybody beating Novac......... :(

Cupcake

« Reply #28 on: 10:17:13, 05/07/13 »
will we be cheering for our great British hope or will it be Scottish dope :o

Well, we're pretty harsh on those expected to win who don't, aren't we?  A bit unfair really.   If he wins though, Scotland will definitely be claiming him!  ;D

exclaytoner

« Reply #29 on: 10:20:18, 05/07/13 »
If he wins though, Scotland will definitely be claiming him!  ;D
and so will we , only if he wins thou ;D
experience is what you get when you don't stop trying