Author Topic: What was this grocery chain of stores called?  (Read 6617 times)

soulman1949

What was this grocery chain of stores called?
« on: 01:46:14, 28/07/13 »
It was a grocery chain that was very popular pre-supermarket days, we used to get our smoked bacon from them in the 50s and 60s. They all used to have those big red Berkel bacon slicer machines that fascinated me.  There were quite a few in the Manchester area and the nearest to us in Greenheys was on Alexandra Road.

Thanks

Alan

PeteGl

Re: What was this grocery chain of stores called?
« Reply #1 on: 09:47:23, 28/07/13 »
Kershaws? I remember one on the corner of Stretford Road and Upper Chorlton Road in Old Trafford.

Pete

soulman1949

« Reply #2 on: 10:18:07, 28/07/13 »
Sorry, no, not Kershaws.

PeteGl

« Reply #3 on: 11:09:49, 28/07/13 »
Thinking again, was it Redmonds? The spelling might not be quite right. Redmans maybe.

Edit to the above, should be Chorlton Road, not Upper.

Pete

Jim44

« Reply #4 on: 11:47:41, 28/07/13 »
Was it Seymour Mead, or something simular?

soulman1949

« Reply #5 on: 12:40:15, 28/07/13 »
Redmans, that's the one!! Cheers PeteGI.

JillR

« Reply #6 on: 12:55:05, 28/07/13 »
Redmans! I can still smell the shop on Ashton Old Road. They also had a stall in the inside market in Ashton.

tony dixon

« Reply #7 on: 12:22:22, 29/07/13 »
Redman's currently have a stall on Bury Indoor Market

soulman1949

« Reply #8 on: 13:24:12, 29/07/13 »
They used to have lots of shops around the Manchester area, haven't seen one in years, one of the casualties of the supermarket revolution, I guess! :-(

Hideaway69

« Reply #9 on: 00:21:02, 07/08/13 »
Redmans Alexandra Road circa 1960

I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

soulman1949

Wow, thanks. Yes, I remember it well.

Maybe once a week we would go there - down Greenheys Lane, onto Denmark Road and cross over Princess Road (by the Guinness Brewery and Moss Side Library) into Moss Lane East. There were quite a few shops there, but I don't recall if we went in any of them. It would be left into Alexandra Road and Redmans was always on our list, followed by the Polish delicatessen a little bit further up Moss Lane East. That was in the days when there were only around 50,000 of us Poles here in the UK and long before the "Polski Sklep" became the corner shop! :-)

A lot of the regular shopping was done at Denmark Road market, IIRC this was open Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, I think? Meat from the butchers just next to the market. There was a grocers shop about 100 yards from us for things like milk and, of course, Denmark Road. I think the nearest phone box was outside the Chemists (Morris?) on Denmark Road, also remember the Sikh Temple on Monton Street. In the late 50s, I recall a Sikh wedding on our street - coachloads arrived for about a week and the place became a sea of gorgeous coloured outfits.

We lived on Gore Street (from about 1958 this was renamed Guildhall Street) - there was a chippy opposite us on the corner with Isabella Street, the owner was one of the few people on our street who could afford a car! I remember very clearly the previously cobbled street being tarmacced for the very first time, not a great problem with the traffic levels then. Nowadays, this activity causes a lot of disruption with groans from car owners having to walk a few yards extra from their parked cars to their houses.

I was originally at Webster Street Primary but, for the last couple of years switched to Greenheys County Primary so I would often get one of the buses going down Lloyd Street (numbers 75, 76 and 213), a practice that continued when I went to Grammar School - that involved switching and getting the 53 at Moss Lane East by the Polish Church. I  would look forward to one of the Lloyd Street buses being a trolley bus, I loved the ride on those. I can't remember when they switched to diesels (anyone?), but then the 213 became the 123. In the late 60s, the bus services were re-organised and they switched from Manchester Corporation Transport Department (MCTD) to Selnec (South East Lancashire North East Cheshire) and we lost our lovely red buses! Hiss-Boo!

My dad quite liked the cinema so we would often go to the Wycliffe on Princess Road. During my Primary School days, I adored the theatre and thought the Hulme Hippodrome was magnificent, so plush, and I really looked forward to being taken there. Don't know if it was playground gossip or whether it's my grey memory cells playing tricks with me, but did it become a strip club in the 60s? That sounded really daring then, the Sunday "Screws of the World" would have photos of saucy pinups which were the nearest us kids came to seeing any nudity. Plus the articles about how their intrepid reporter found some vice den of iniquity but never handed over his cash, the article would always end "I made my excuses and left!" Innocent times.
« Last Edit: 02:06:04, 07/08/13 by soulman1949 »

John C2

Redmans grocers
« Reply #11 on: 18:08:29, 10/12/21 »
Back a few years some members were trying to remember a   grocers shop called Redmans or something like that.
As a new member I have only just read the posting.   The shops were called Redmans, they had 20 shops across Lancashire and Yorkshire  and a hotel on the sea front at Blackpool.  How do I know this - I worked there as a Saturday boy at the Oldham branch back in the 1960s.  Like several towns with a market there would be the shop and a stall in the indoor market. The Oldham manager was Mr Williams,  and Mr Wragg managed the market stall.

Janet Burns

« Reply #12 on: 14:40:39, 02/09/22 »
Just come across this post as I'm a new member do any of you know who owned Redmans x

John C2

« Reply #13 on: 11:51:48, 03/09/22 »
Hi Janet

It was along time ago, but as far as I can remember  Redman was the family name that owned the shops. By now if any of their shops are left, they have probably been bought up and retained the name.  The Mace shops of old are not the same as the 1970, when Booker Belmont owned them at one stage.    John C2

Jules Thomas

« Reply #14 on: 01:52:10, 24/12/22 »
Think it was Redmans