Author Topic: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys  (Read 133717 times)

hatton

Re: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys
« Reply #270 on: 14:04:26, 02/05/22 »
Hi Alan!

Forgot to mention I would love to have a look at the 5B school roll to validate whether I got (with Ian's help) the 1962 register right.

Many thanks.

Kevin

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #271 on: 16:36:21, 06/05/22 »
R.I.P.  Alan Hargreaves

from

Alan J Jackson
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Alan J

« Reply #272 on: 11:55:30, 07/05/22 »
Hello Kevin,
Please send me some contact details for you so that I can I can send you copies of all Forms for Year 5.

Alan J

Alan J

« Reply #273 on: 01:10:41, 09/05/22 »
Hello again, Kevin
I have been told that you cannot receive personal messages, and it is risky to sent personal details through the site, so can I suggest that you have you have a friend or local business who can details from me via the post.  When Tony was around his son opened an e-mail address on the School site but this is now closed.
I do have Colin Williams's (Taffy's brother) e-mail address if you are still in touch with his family.

Alan.   

Alan J

« Reply #274 on: 01:33:44, 09/05/22 »
I just thought that we can try this!  I am a member the local Volunteer Centre in New Mills, where I live, and they will be happy if you were to drop me a line there at :-
c/o New Mills Volunteer Centre, Union Road, New Mills, High Peak, SK22, Derbyshire.
Also put in a telephone number.

Alan. 

hatton

« Reply #275 on: 13:19:36, 11/05/22 »
Hi Alan!

New Mills is a nice part of the world if my geography is correct. Yes, I will drop you a line as you suggest with my details. You mention "Taffy" Williams and try as I might I don't recall his christian name although I can picture him even now. The last time I saw him was either the last day of school in July 1961 unless he stayed on for A levels in which case it would have been July 1962. I, along with David Parish, who was in the "A" stream, had both been accepted for the British European Airways (BEA) General Apprenticeship scheme and we we both opted to leave school rather than complete our A levels as the company was not prepared to leave the offers open for an additional year. I certainly don't regret making that decision.

Chazz

« Reply #276 on: 09:21:46, 31/07/22 »
Hi again to everyone. I've not been around for a while but am glad to see the old school is still up and running, albeit posthumously.My brother Bob, who attended Central a few years before me, surprised me by showing me an epic photograph taken in 1959 of the WHOLE school. It's way too large to show on here in its entirety so I'll probably have to show it in very small sections. In the meantime, a couple of faces taken from it -

Chazz

« Reply #277 on: 09:44:16, 31/07/22 »
Okay then, here we go - your homework today is - spot the boy who appears twice (!)

Chazz

« Reply #278 on: 09:44:56, 31/07/22 »
and more -

Chazz

« Reply #279 on: 09:45:43, 31/07/22 »
so many kids we were -

Chazz

« Reply #280 on: 09:46:35, 31/07/22 »
and finally - there's that boy again.....

Chazz

« Reply #281 on: 17:24:49, 04/08/22 »
...and let's try the whole panorama - unfortunately lower quality because of image size restrictions. Still.....

Oldhippy

« Reply #282 on: 14:38:35, 30/11/22 »
Nice to see photo. A bit before my time (1965), but recognised a few masters. Funny how the sight of Harry Caldbeck from well over sixty years ago can still make the blood run cold. Regards to all, Olsen, 5b.

Tom

« Reply #283 on: 00:28:30, 01/12/22 »
About 3 years ago I had correspondence with Bill Lawes's daughter Jen . She told me he lived to be 93 and always felt that Whitworth Street was his most enjoyable workplace. I have very fond memories of him as a french teacher and form master when I was in 3A circa 1957. B W to his family Tom H .

Chazz

« Reply #284 on: 20:06:21, 01/12/22 »
Can you be famous yet anonymous? I told you one boy appeared twice in that large picture of the whole school. Apparently the camera which was used scanned from left to right, so this one boy had his picture taken, ran behind the whole assembled group and popped up again at the other end. This was well known at the time (probably given a good caning, but well worth the effort) But - who is/was he?
Chazz