Author Topic: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys  (Read 133714 times)

[email protected]

Re: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys
« Reply #60 on: 17:55:41, 01/05/17 »
Non Nobis Domine
Not unto us o lord,
The praise and glory be
Of any deed or word.
For in thy judgement  lies
To crown or bring to nought,
All knowledge and device,
That man has reached or wrought.

O power by whom we live,
Creator judge and friend,
Upholdingly forgive,
Nor lead us at the end,
But grant us yet to see,
In all our pity ways,
Non Nobis Domine,
Not unto us the praise

Non Nobis, Non Nobis,
Non Nobis Domine.

Verses 1 and 3.
With my profession should be able to remember it.
Tony.

Simonsky

« Reply #61 on: 15:18:51, 02/05/17 »
Interesting for me to read this thread as I was at Central High School after its change to comprehensive as I failed my 11= :'( . I was there for nearly three years, 1971-73. Interesting to note those that overlapped with the change from grammar and testify to a fall in standards.  When I went I found the environment a tough one mixing with the kids from Longsight/Moss-Side but here were still some good teachers and a few names form the grammar school days.  I remember Mr Eckersley distinctly, he seemed very old and given that this thread mentions him having been at the school decades before I can now understand this impression!  he was a great teacher and taught history with great enthusiasm. he would always offer personal observations about historical characters.  I can remember him talking about King James First (?) being homosexual which he mentioned without any negative inference.  He always had a slipper ready for anyone straying from the straight and narrow but was thought of as a fair minded person.  he must have really like teaching to have carried on after the change to Comprehensive.  Mr.  de la Parelle (sic) was still there and seemed a throwback to a more gentlemanly world than the one now confronting him.I left in 1973 after a pupil threw a brick at me in the playground which almost concussed me.  After that I refused to go back to school and missed most of the 3rd year (year 9 in today's parlance) -I can remember Mr.  de la Parelle sending me a nice letter to try and encourage me to go back.  Other teacher I can remember that might have been there during the Grammar school years are:

Mr.  Garner an Art Teacher (?)

A chemistry teacher called Basketter who chatted to me if we met on the Bus

I remember that you could get a good view of the Zoo from a certain height in the upper school building and recall seeing the Giraffes and thinking how more orderly the zoo was at that time.  We had another history teacher in Upper school who was clearly having a nervous breakdown as he would spend lessons railing about the noise and mayhem in the corridor.

The irony of ironies is that I became a teacher myself! (left eventually due to ill health).

Alan J

« Reply #62 on: 13:56:10, 23/05/17 »
Hello Tony,
I saw that a former student had taken the trouble to put the entire school role on Page 4 when I was in the Upper Sixth.  I am really grateful for his efforts as the role contained everyone I should know including yourself and your best mate John Wooller.  We used to get the 101 bus home when you were both First Years: John living on Foxfield Road and you on Rushall Walk with brother Joey.  Terry Holroyd lived opposite you and I round the corner on Rowarth Road.

At the time I played in a 'group' with school friends and you and John carried my gear and came to one of our rehearsals.  The School Group was great fun and we practiced at the back of the stage in the Hall.  Mr. Wilkinson found out about us and brought his clarinet down and asked us to play "When The Saints Go Marching In" with him - every week!

I've enjoyed reading your stories and appreciate your wish to have a reunion. The last one I attended was a grand party in a hotel with other boys and masters to celebrate Dr. de la Perrelle's retirement.  I don't think this site allows old boys to leave personal details but if you can give the name and address of your church or a date on which we can meet at St. Francis' on Chalford Road I should be pleased to meet up again.

Alan D. Jackson

[email protected]

« Reply #63 on: 10:37:28, 24/05/17 »
Hi Alan,
So good to hear from you and what a memory only one thing wrong. I used to live on Green brow road opposite the school. You could not miss our house during election time due to the big Labour posters that always decorated the outside. You are correct about Terry Holroyd and us getting the 101 bus home every night. I have been struggling with my memory lately and thus would love to meet as many old friends as possible before it gets even worse. I have been trying to trace John but to no avail as yet, do however hope to trace Mike Gee have a few details of him. Mike was the captain of our years football team and in my class for 5 years. Remember he was very popular as a good lad and know if he developed just half of what he was in class he would have hand a good life.

Now about a meet, please not at a church, seen enough of them over the year's. Also I  do live in Cheshire as had to retire at 50 due to MS, although do also rent a room in Manchester so I can attend treatment twice a week, and I am unable to drive for at least 24 hours later.

Would you be available for a lunchtime meet, and if so will give you a few days and location soon. Hope that others from the school will be able to join us when arranged, an open invitation to all.

This is a great forum  and I encourage other old boys to post your memories on it. Remember they  can demolish the school but not our memories. Although We will thin out every year due to our ages, this great sight will still be available to all

Look forward to hear in from you and I hope others as well,,,

Good luck to all...........Tony.

[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]

Alan J

« Reply #64 on: 11:20:26, 24/05/17 »
Dear Tony,

Thank you for your reply.  Possibly you can suggest a location, pub or some public place where you are known and a time around lunchtime and I can do my best to meet you or leave a message there with my e-mail address etc.

Preferably not Wednesdays though as I venture out to Liverpool to sing in an opera company.  Did you have a brother called Joey?  I didn't know Mike Gee: older boys didn't tend to 'knock about with' younger ones within school but there are many names in the school role I recognise of boys of all ages in the Army Cadet Force.  Also some I have met professionally since leaving.

Best,

Alan

[email protected]

« Reply #65 on: 13:09:04, 24/05/17 »
Hi Alan again.

Right let's not let grass grow under our feet. How about Monday or Tuesday next week, may be able to attrend on Thusday or Friday as well but not sure. My eldest grandson is 16 next week and am not sure what is planned for Thusday or Friday.

Location, pick either , the cafe at Wythenshawe park, (entry of Wythenshawe Road, think it is called the Quadrant)   of
If you fancy a beer the Farmers Arms on Longley lane.

Time about 12.00 to 12.30 , you will be able to recognise me, will have my black shirt on, and have my copy of when God spoke English.

If you post the day and location will attend, hope not on my own. Remember all you old boys this is an open invitation, please try and attend. We are not getting any younger and do not know when or if  we will be able to meet old friends and remember the school and teachers.

Please , please read Alan's message and attend when and where he selects,
By the way Alan no guitar.

Best wishes to all and hope to see you next week.

Tony.

Alan J

« Reply #66 on: 10:33:17, 25/05/17 »
Hello Tony,

I shall be driving so the Quadrant Cafe would be my first choice and also Tuesday morning.  Traffic permitting I shall be there at 1200 - 1230.

Best,

Alan.

[email protected]

« Reply #67 on: 11:15:17, 25/05/17 »
Alan ... great will see you then, really looking forward to it,

ALL OTHER OLD BOYS READING THIS TRY AND ATTEND GOOD TO SEE ALL.......

THE QUADRANT CAFE AT WYTHENSHAWE PARK......

ENTRANCE FROM WYTHENSHAWE ROAD.......

ALAN REMEMBER NO MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS....NOW UNABLE TO CARRY EQUIPMENT....

TONY

[email protected]

« Reply #68 on: 21:25:23, 05/06/17 »
Well the reunion was a spectacular flop. Only myself, Alan JAckson and Steve Wall attended, we did not even have enough to form a committee. Must say however we spent 3 hours remembering the old place and it was very enjoyable. We decided (unanimously) to try again and so we will try again details below. Even though it is quite some time since we were all at school surely we are not the only 3 left. Do urge all that can attend the meet below, it may be we can arrange an annual date and place if enough attend.

THE   FARMERS ARMS PUB

LONGLEY LANE - NORTHENDEN - WYTHENSHAWE ......

M22  4JR.............7.30 PM

Please try and attend, remember all welcome .
If unable my but would like to still keep in touch ready for another meet may e mail address is at the start of my message,  it is @gmail.com.

Look forward to seeing others,

TONY........

[email protected]

« Reply #69 on: 21:36:13, 05/06/17 »
Well told you not very good at this tech stuff.
're reunion Farmers Arms forgot to put the date,

TUESDAY  27 th  JUNE

Please try and attend, now toy know when.

TONY......

[email protected]

« Reply #70 on: 20:32:31, 11/06/17 »
I have opened a new e-mail address (actually my grandson did for me) just for old boys to get in touch with suggestions for reunions dates and locations or if you wish just to keep in touch,

[email protected]

Trust this will help some to keep in touch, will answer all messages as soon as possible.

TONY.

[email protected]

« Reply #71 on: 18:15:28, 14/06/17 »
                           ANYONE   FOR     TEA    VICAR   ?

Will be visiting the Courtyard cafe at Wythenshawe park again on Monday the 19th of June at around  1.00 o'clock lunchtime.
Anyone wishing a gab about old times would be glad to see you.

TONY.

[email protected]

« Reply #72 on: 16:50:16, 21/07/17 »
Hello to you all again.
Well not very good at  organising reunions just another disaster only the three of us again.
HELP......HELP..... will you send me suggestions regards a reunion. Any thing will help, regards venues, days etc.....contact me [email protected]       all suggestions are welcome.
I have just personally had some bad news from my quack, not to book a holiday for next year and it seems that I am soon to meet my boss. Unable to decide what welcome will get, they call me WWV (world's worst vicar) . This has made it really desperate for me to meet as many old school friends as possible as soon as able.

Just to let you know I will be visiting the courtyard cafe at Wythenshawe Park again for the next two Wednesdays 26th July and 2 nd August. From 11.30 am to 2.30 pm before I go to the hospital for treatment. Would dearly love to meet any of you who can make it for a couple of hours to chat.

You will be able to recognise me, I have a Mohikan hair style in reverse, instead of no hair on side and a mop on top, I have hair on the side but nothing on top.
This is my second attempt to post this message do not know what I pressed last time but lots it all, told you no good at these tech things.

Anyhow please get in touch by e mail at above address or post on website. Would dearly love to hear from all old boys of Central Grammar for sadistic teachers, especially old class mates.

HAVE  PITY  ON  ME............GET IN TOUCH.

TONY......?

[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]

[email protected]

« Reply #73 on: 19:19:37, 31/07/17 »
Hello again to every one. Afraid that I will now not be at the courtyard cafe this Wednesday the 2 nd of August. I have had my schedule for my treatment changed so apologise to anyone who was going to attend. Will post a new date as soon as possible when sorted out my details. Anyone interested in meeting old school friends e-mail me on the address above and will keep you up to date at once.

Good luck to all...........Tony........

Mike G

« Reply #74 on: 17:28:05, 19/08/17 »
Just noticed this forum when the idea of looking up the school on Google suddenly popped into my head.  I was there from 1955 to 1962, starting in Whitworth St then moving to Kirkmanshulme Lane - possibly by year 4, but not sure.  Particularly like the posts from Charles Lee, who was a friend, and enjoyed reading stuff from others who confirmed all my memories - Dr De La Perrelle, such a nice man who always knew evryone's name, "Piggy" Stewart, the fearsome Latin master, small, round red-faced whose shout of "walking" made everyone running down the corridor stop in their tracks, Albert Winterbottom, who you could get to forget to give you French homework if you got him to talk about his war experiences just before the end of the lesson!  Have been eternally grateful for such an excellent Grammar school education.  Now (like everyone else in my year!) am 73 - can't believe I'm that old as I'm still 18 in my mind!