Author Topic: Heaton Park Prefabs  (Read 34203 times)

Winifred

Heaton Park Prefabs
« on: 03:58:31, 27/08/13 »
Does anyone have pictures or any memories of living in Heaton Park Prefabs?

colincampsite

Re: Heaton Park Prefabs
« Reply #1 on: 05:05:27, 02/09/13 »
No, but in the fifties I  lived on Victoria Avenue East and we would race our guiders (bogies) round the paths between the prefabs opposite. It was the best fun I ever had.

LAgal

« Reply #2 on: 03:01:28, 10/09/13 »
In 1946 there was a Jewish refugee girl who lived there.  I think her last name was Greenberg.  She came into my class at a school in Crumpsall where I spent the last year before going on to Central High School.  I was the only other Jewish person in the class and the teacher was very mean to me.  I didn't realize at the time that it was because I was Jewish .

BigAl

« Reply #3 on: 05:11:30, 10/09/13 »
I remember going there as a child, it was lovely like a permanent holiday camp It was like Prestatyn or Rhyl, nice litle bungalows. It must have been a lovely place to live, in a shed in Heaton Park, before they built the motorway.

JONNO

« Reply #4 on: 14:33:34, 15/09/13 »
When they were demolished (?in the 60's) the road layout remained and learner drivers used it as a safe training ground. All signs have now disappeared and it has reverted to grass. There is a circus taking place there at the moment.

claretwoman

« Reply #5 on: 22:20:39, 09/11/13 »
I was born at Perrivale Avenue in 1950.  happy days.  my brother used to play in the woods with a boy I think his name was Lee Turner.  opposite it us were a family who emigrated to Australia I just can't remember their name at the moment I think the dad was called Barry.  remember the ice cream man Salvatore coming round with his horse and cart! whenever I pass those bricked up openings where we used to walk up home from school I wish I could be transported back.

JONNO

« Reply #6 on: 09:54:42, 10/11/13 »
Don't we all! Perhaps the rose tinting is a bit thick on my glasses but it did seem to be a more innocent time in the 50's, but no doubt it will seem that way for today's generation of kids in the future. Our ice cream man was Seretti - complete with horse drawn cart. As for emigration, there must have been thousands who left - especially to Australia on the £10 ticket.: I can think of two families who went. In those days it was a major commitment because there was no coming back unless you had money - plane and ship fares were astronomic by comparison with today's prices. I've just slipped my way around an iced up Heaton Park - it's such a pity that the hall is going to rack and ruin with rotting window frames and boardrd up windows and doors. There is some scaffolding going up so hopefully it is going to be saved. I remember visiting as a kid and being very impressed by the marble statues and other bits of art - a big change from our 'two up and two down' in Salford!

Susanswheels

« Reply #7 on: 03:15:03, 09/02/14 »
We lived at 5 Broadmere drive .linda and Susan short.it was fantastic I could happily go back there now and of ton dream of the estate..We went to park side Primary school and was devasted when I went to the firework display last year and noticed the school had been demolished Our neighbours where the ma kiss
And the Clarksville does anybody remember any of us.   Sue
susanswheels

Adsum

« Reply #8 on: 10:58:13, 09/02/14 »
I don't know where this photo was taken. There is still a small estate of Prefabs in Mossley.

We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Jim44

« Reply #9 on: 14:11:40, 10/02/14 »
[quote author=Adsum
I don't know where this photo was taken. There is still a small estate of Prefabs in Mossley.

I don't know why they don't still build prefabs anymore, I would have thought it would be a cheaper alternative than a house!

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 15:28:41, 10/02/14 »
Just as the tram arrives in Altrincham there are about seven prefabs which have been re-roofed in red tiles, and the wall re-done too - they look like ordinary bungalows - most of them have two cars in the driveway and obviously wouldn't want to move
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

LAgal

« Reply #11 on: 22:41:07, 10/02/14 »
I think the prefabs originally were put up in Heaton Park to quickly house all the refugees right after World War 2.  Heaton Park also was the site where the barrage balloons were kept during the war.  These were years of great upheaval for everybody! 

philips

« Reply #12 on: 12:57:30, 15/03/14 »
I was living in a 2 up-2 down terraced house in Cheetham hill around the time that these prefabs were being built. The estate was quickly built in the main, by men of different nationalities from the nearby 'Prisoners of War' camp. The prisoners could be identified by the large yellow square worn on the back of their jackets!
 Many of the prefabs were allocated to families who had been made homeless by the bombs which fell on Manchester and in the area of Salford Docks.
 I remember walking around the estate with my mother and seeing the wishful look on her face. The prefabs had gardens, hot water systems, bathrooms and inside toilets. This was a far cry from the slum properties so many families, like mine were living in during the 1930s/40s/50s/60s.             

davali62

« Reply #13 on: 17:23:23, 22/12/14 »
We lived at 5 Broadmere drive .linda and Susan short.it was fantastic I could happily go back there now and of ton dream of the estate..We went to park side Primary school and was devasted when I went to the firework display last year and noticed the school had been demolished Our neighbours where the ma kiss
And the Clarksville does anybody remember any of us.   Sue

davali62

« Reply #14 on: 17:26:47, 22/12/14 »
We lived on Broadmere Drive as well. My mum and dad, Vera & Cyril Thorneycroft (now deceased), myself Alison,who was only 6 months old when we had to move and my two brothers John & David.  They were also friendly with the Pruntys, who also moved to Handforth with us. Do you remember them???