Author Topic: Heaton Park Prefabs  (Read 34211 times)

Jean worsley

Re: Heaton Park Prefabs
« Reply #30 on: 23:20:50, 26/01/18 »
I lived on Erlmere Dr right behind Broadmere.Susan Short you were my friend.The Coghlans lived in the house before you did also friends of myself and my brother Ian.We also went to Parkside School It was a great place to grow up and everyone was devastated when we had to move away.I’ll never understand why they tore them down.They were so modern for their time.My parents moved in at the end of the war before my brother and I were born and they were not bombed in their previous home ,he was in the Navy.I guess we were just lucky to have been allotted those houses.
My class in school planted the trees outside of the gate at Grand Lodge.Prince Phillip came and helped lol.So many memories from there.We were all incredibly lucky to have lived in those prefabs  although I will say we were a little embarrassed to admit we lived in them ,Some people were mean or were they just jealous,? they were not slums or wooden huts they were the best

Johnlcoghlan

« Reply #31 on: 20:41:22, 27/01/18 »
Jean

I remember Ian, he was my brother Steve's best friend. He was a rugby player, and he would come to our place on Saturday night, all bashed up from the game. He and Steve used to 'hit the town' together. I remember they would go to a club called "The Jungfrau" John Coghlan

gramster

« Reply #32 on: 10:43:34, 31/01/18 »
I lived on Erlmere Dr right behind Broadmere.Susan Short you were my friend.The Coghlans lived in the house before you did also friends of myself and my brother Ian.We also went to Parkside School It was a great place to grow up and everyone was devastated when we had to move away.I’ll never understand why they tore them down.They were so modern for their time.My parents moved in at the end of the war before my brother and I were born and they were not bombed in their previous home ,he was in the Navy.I guess we were just lucky to have been allotted those houses.
My class in school planted the trees outside of the gate at Grand Lodge.Prince Phillip came and helped lol.So many memories from there.We were all incredibly lucky to have lived in those prefabs  although I will say we were a little embarrassed to admit we lived in them ,Some people were mean or were they just jealous,? they were not slums or wooden huts they were the best

Hi

Just trying to get my bearings, were the prefabs and parkside school on Sheepfoot lane.

lozflan

« Reply #33 on: 11:15:23, 31/01/18 »
The prefabs were most likely the consequence of Manchester's slum clearance,before the large out of town estates were built.
It was common to see empty derelict buildings in Cheetham in the 1940s.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

rlevy1950

« Reply #34 on: 13:40:35, 18/03/18 »
Hi, I've just read the recent post about Parkside school and planting trees at grand lodge. I thought sometimes I was the only one who remembers those days !!

I was at parkside from 1953 (nursery) until 1961 and have all my old school pictures. My name was Reberta Goodolph. I remember Miss Walton the headmistress who had a box of smarties in her drawer. Mr Hargreaves who tried to teach us french and Mrs Waterhouse the school secretary. I was in the same class as her daughter Joyce. My best friend Janice Cowan who lived on Blackley New Road. We had a rounders team that played all the local schools - Victoria Avenue, St Claires, Crab Lane and temple School.

We went to Tintwistle camp for a few days and slept in bunks - it seeemed like the other side of the world.

Now my grandchildren tell their friends that I planted the trees that they pass each day.

I'd love to hear anyone else's memories.

Great days

Lyann

« Reply #35 on: 19:26:34, 27/03/18 »
Hi, my dad grew up in Heaton Park his name is Albert Bowers had his brother Colin Bowers.  Noticed your comments Holleren (Christine) would be lovely to hear from you, Lyann (Alberts Daughter) xx

rlevy1950

Re: Heaton Park Prefabs, Parkside school.
« Reply #36 on: 11:29:22, 28/03/18 »
hi,

lovely to read your message. I remember the Bowers -  I think either Colin or Albert, or even both must be on my school pics. If I can work out how to to scan and upload the pictures I will do so.

regards

Reberta

pamela

« Reply #37 on: 00:11:08, 30/03/18 »
I lived in Heaton Park prefabs at 24 reedsham ave Sheepfoot lane estate I went to Parkside primary school too

Lynnmartland

« Reply #38 on: 21:01:33, 04/08/18 »
Does anyone have pictures or any memories of living in Heaton Park Prefabs?
i was born in one of these prefabs in 1958 ,my family name was birkett we lived at 8 thorn hill Ave , my mother was in the news paper as she wouldn’t give hers up they loved it, I also went to the little school on sheepfoot Lane before we moved to the new estate up riverdale road , my brothers were chris and Eric  would love to hear of anyone who else lived there at the same time

paperboy

« Reply #39 on: 13:31:34, 05/08/18 »
Not exactly relevant to the Heaton Park Prefabs....but I remember well a small group of them on Anson Road, Victoria Park, right next to where the Oceans 11/Genevieve's club. They weren't knocked down in the late 60's or early 70's. They looked exactly like those in the photo sown earlier. I suspect they were used all over Manchester, and England too.

blusal

« Reply #40 on: 13:56:14, 06/08/18 »
I went to St Marks School in Heath Street, Every summer we used to have 2 weeks at Parkside School. It was another world
Flawed but sensitive.. I continue my trek against life's petty injustices

Joseph Blevins

« Reply #41 on: 02:51:32, 04/10/18 »
I delivered meat at 5 houses at the park prefabs in the late 40's.  The butchers shop was the old co-op on Victoria Avenue next to the opening of Blackley Cemetery . The shops are now a florist and a launderette.  I lived on Dexter Road and walked to Bowker Vale School each day.

WriterPat

« Reply #42 on: 15:34:46, 14/10/18 »

Hello
Those of you who lived in a prefab - or know someone who lived in one - might be interested in the following books set in the imaginary "Broome Park Prefab Village" (based loosely on the Heaton Park & Boggart Clough prefab estates)  set in the 1950s and published by Fabrian Books.

Jessiesarah

« Reply #43 on: 00:47:27, 30/12/18 »
Are you the Reberta Goodolph who was a friend of my sister Ann[ne Bentley] We all used to go ice Skating together. If you are used to live in the first Ave as you turn into Sheepfoot lane

Johnlcoghlan

« Reply #44 on: 01:40:27, 09/10/19 »
In 1946 there was a Jewish refugee girl who lived there.  I think her last name was Greenberg.  She came into my class at a school in Crumpsall where I spent the last year before going on to Central High School.  I was the only other Jewish person in the class and the teacher was very mean to me.  I didn't realize at the time that it was because I was Jewish .

Her name was Stella, her husband was a baker, she had a son called David. I always knew her a Auntie Stella, we lived next door or very close