Author Topic: 1010 motorbike cafe on the A6 - Stockport Road, Levenshulme  (Read 14025 times)

Edtheball

As a young skinhead  8)  in 1969-70, I used to have to pass this place to go to Browns (aka Splinters) and every time i did, I was scared witless.

To be fair, the people inside couldn't have cared less about those of us of that persuasion who walked past but, upon getting on a scooter, that all changed.

We'd pootle along Stockport Road on little 150-200cc Lambrettas, before some 20-year-old rockers/greasers would roar up behind us on Nortons, Triumphs, BSAs and put the fear of God up us... though again, I don't recall any real violence or aggro

Anyone remember the place?

FTR: when I was a skinhead, there was never any real racism towards others. In fact, many of my pals were of various races and ethnic backgrounds, and any punch-ups tended to be over what most young men get involved in fights over: girls, girls and, more often than not, girls. And football.   ;)

Hideaway69

I remember it too, along with Skyways & last but not least The Easy Rider caff in Moss-Side  :o
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

Edtheball

I remember - I think - Skyways... Wythenshawe way?   ::)

Edtheball

I'm a member of another forum where one of the members is looking for original - 1968 - 1971 - pics of skinheads/suedeheads for a book, can anyone oblige?

Manx

Number 1008/10 Stockport Road Levenshulme was where the ABC Regal cinema was located (closed 1961) which in later years became a bingo hall and in recent times, an indian restaurant?

Never went to the Ten-Ten but remember the buzz about it at the time. Further along Stockport Road at a point almost opposite the old Levenshulme Pally (Palais De Danse) at number 700 was "Frankie's 700" cafe, a hard-core rockers and greasers hang-out. I think there was some kind of transition period from when Frankie's phazed out and the Ten-Ten appeared later.

About Manchester mods, soul mods, etc' - here's an interesting article obviously written by a die-hard mod.

http://www.squidoo.com/mods-soul-mods

Edtheball

Thank you, Manx, much appreciated.

pfarrar

I went to the 10/10 and browns liked them both used to like the easy going of the 10/10 and the getting dressed up for browns memories x

Manx

As best as i can gather, the 'Ten Ten' was actually part of the frontage corner the ABC Regal Cinema building, the design suggests some kind of booking office originally.

Its had several usages in its history, The Regency Barbers, Monarch School of driving, Ten Ten Cafe and a take-away curry shop and others.
Here's a Manchester Archives photo' for reference...

As a shop before the Ten-Ten.

Browns School of Dancing (Levenshulme) used the upper floor of the Co-op.

This shot shows the two minute walk distance between Browns and the Ten-Ten Cafe.

« Last Edit: 15:30:57, 25/07/14 by Chris »

Edtheball

Thanks - again - Manx.

While the three pics are before my time - I traversed that route from 1969-70 - they still hold fond memories (to me) of me and my girl (of the time) pootling along Stockport Road, heading to and from 'Browns'.

It's like a different continent around there nowadays, but Manchester has always welcomed new arrivals... I mean, I'm a Scot.   O0

Mackoh

Remember 10-10 but only passing on the bus - I was more familiar with Skyways off Ringway Rd near the Tatton Arms going to the Airport. They used to come from all over Manchester to congregate there and I remember a whole "chapter" of them used to come from Denton/Ashton (I think) through Stockport and Cheadle Hulme and up to the airport. There was one lad who only had one leg and they called him Hoppy. Wore a bandana before they became trendy. A big intimidating lad who rode with a sidecar to steady the bike where he had no leg. He used to stand up on the treads of his bike and howl like a Comanche as us skinheads called "greasers" back at them. They were a bit older than us and we'd've probably made ourselves scarce had they been bothered by us.  ;D
« Last Edit: 00:11:42, 26/12/13 by Mackoh »

ken hughes

:)
Thank you, Manx, much appreciated.
Hi Ed, Not sure if I am doing the right thing by jumping in this quote but I did write some months ago but it was never printed.
My name is Ken Hughes and I was one of the first bikers at the 1010 in 1963. My first hang out was at Frankies 700 opposite the Midway hotel where you could say that I was one of the junior bikers on my 250cc Royal Enfield crusader sports. Most of the other guys there all rode 500cc upwards and they were a good set of guys. The big guy there was Daddyo who always had the best BSA Rocket (his dad was a director at BSA) but the guy that the girls liked was 'The Cat' who had a BSA super rocket.He sadly died of cancer many years ago.
I myself progressed to a 500ccgold star and then to a rocket gold star by the time that I hung around the 1010. All the bikers were great there and we went to the various rallies and there was no trouble (not at least up to 1967 when I went to live in S.Africa) We never gave the kids any trouble on their way to Browns and a few of us used to go ourselves and have a great time. Great days and memories. One of the bikers was called 'The Brain' as he had a Batchelor of Science degree in electrics. He was 6ft 7 and built like a beanpole but he also had a license to drive a bus. In 1966 we hired a double decker and went to London to the 59 club. What a great weekend. There must have been 50 0f us on that trip.
Anyway, I could write much more but I think that is enough for now especially as I don't know if this is going to be printed.
All the best. Ken Hughes

tonyw

Hello
I too remember walking past the 10-10 in my mod gear on the way to Browns. The quirky thing about Browns was the Rich Rythem and the Barn dances. Strange but a great way to meet girls as you were continuously changing partners
Regards
Tony

looter

Has any one noticed the pictures of old manchester how clean the streets are and how there's no advertising boards making the place look rather untidy.

1 york st

Around 1968 when i was 13, my nan lived in york st opposite the Levenshulme pub.

Although i lived in Romiley i use to travel to my nan and grandads at weekends,I always remember the Bikers , and the coffee bar,I remember a guy called Dave voight who had a limp and sadly died on the a6 . I remember Keith  Dalzeith who ran it with his brother Jim, then  a guy called Bertie Munch.I use to go with him for walks with his dog.
John Donavan (DON) and his wife had it after, they also had dogs that i took out (flash and later Rebel) Think it became a second hand shop after it closed.
My pal and i use to order hot vimto and sit at the high red round tables.
I always look at bikers jackets to see if anyone has the circled red 1010 badge.

celeste

• Global Moderator
I remember it too, along with Skyways & last but not least The Easy Rider caff in Moss-Side  :o

I remember Skyways when I worked at the airport, we used to walk down Ringway Road in our lunch time, Derek and his wife ran it, much later they turned it into a restaurant - not sure if they still own it. :-\
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing