Author Topic: Corcoran history  (Read 11840 times)

Padraighin

Re: Corcoran history
« Reply #15 on: 15:17:07, 15/09/18 »
Hello Maureen
She never sctually said she had been in care but there were others in St. Joseph's Hostel who had been. Carmel implied a troubled childhood And the nun in charge (Sister of Charity?)5in charge seemed to know her well, which didn't seem to be the case with the young women who were there temporarily because they had work in Manchester. Someone on this site thinks she found her birth cert. with the birthdate 1936. This sound correct as Carmel was about 28. I still remember her in her boucle Chanel type suit. I think she was a shop assistant in a Manchester Department store. She had lived on the continent and spoke French and, perhaps, Italian. She may have returned to France in the years since.  Patricia

mollymo

« Reply #16 on: 14:31:32, 16/09/18 »
Hello Patricia, Carmel was born in 1939 I have her dob from when she went into care. After Carmel left school she attended Salford Tech College to do an Art Course that would have been around 1954/55 sometime after she left St Joseph's Home at Patricroft. I have previously been in touch with the other posters regarding Carmel as I was in St Joseph's at the same time, we have always drawn a blank when doing searches for her. A friend of mine has a photo of Carmel she would have been around 18-20 when it was taken.

Regards
Maureen

Padraighin

« Reply #17 on: 22:44:10, 16/09/18 »
Thanks Maureen
Carmel was very artistic so her choice of art at Salford Tech makes sense. I wish I had taken a photo of her in 1964 when I met her at St Joseph's hostel. I left the hostel late 1964, early 1965. The address Carmel gave me as a contact was 70 School Lane, Manchester 20. Given the difficulty so many seem to have encountered in finding her, she may have moved to the continent and/or married and changed her name. I wonder if she would be surprised that people still remember her 64, and in my case, 54 years later. A lovely woman and difficult to forget. If i find out anything, I will let you know.
Regards
Patricia

Padraighin

« Reply #18 on: 23:46:51, 16/09/18 »
I don't know if this will help in the search but I just found the address of St Joseph's Hostel where i stayed in 1964 and where I met Carmel. It was mainly a place for students, teachers or other Catholic women paying for a short-term stay. I doubt the hostel is still there, or maybe it was converted to another use. I remember the nun in charge telling us that they had a different type of home for unmarried mothers several streets away.

St. [size=78%]Joseph's Hostel[/size]

Lower (? Sp) Grange
21 New Hall Rd.
Broughton
Salford 7
Phone no. In 1964:  BRO 1944

Warnerwaype

Corcoran history
« Reply #19 on: 16:58:27, 16/01/19 »
Just wish I had the time and patience to do something as interesting and beneficial for other people, not just for now but for years to come your site and others like it will help people find their history, as Bob Marley once said  Don't forget your history nor your destiny .
*Link Removed*

danecor

« Reply #20 on: 17:20:39, 02/10/20 »
Hello everyone , oh my goodness I cannot believe how many years have passed since I last looked on this forum . I originally posted back in 2014 and was hoping to find my Aunt Carmel , unfortunately I still haven’t found her but I want to say a big thank you to all of you for replying to my original message . To be honest after a year of posting my story , things got busy and with no new information my search had to go on hold . This year with a bit more time on my hands I took a DNA test and it has proven that Thomas Egan ( Carmel’s Father ) was indeed also my Dads Father . I have found 2nd cousins but Thomas was married to someone else and none of that family had any idea of Carmel’s or James Thomas ( my Dad) existence. I am so pleased to read the posts and memories that some of you have about Carmel and I am so sorry that I forgot all about this forum and therefore have not replied before now . It is particularly interesting to find she had been to Europe and this will give me something to start my research with again . Any findings I will post on here .....I promise 😀

leelee

« Reply #21 on: 14:32:48, 07/10/23 »
I know a carmel and Anscombe in miles platting but it was an annie turnbull that lived there who was best friends with carmel

mollymo

« Reply #22 on: 15:08:30, 07/10/23 »
Leelee, have you anymore information on the Carmel you knew, she would be in her 80s now.?

leelee

« Reply #23 on: 15:18:57, 07/10/23 »
Not a lot just she was mates with annie they drank in the duke of york salford with Michael byrne/Kelly and his brother Sean annie lived at Anscombe close she moved there after giving up a boy she named William at St theresas mum and baby home in salford x

mollymo

« Reply #24 on: 16:12:33, 07/10/23 »
Do you remember Carmel’s surname or married name?

Regards Maureen

leelee

« Reply #25 on: 16:15:06, 07/10/23 »
No I'm sorry

mollymo

« Reply #26 on: 16:27:18, 07/10/23 »
Thank you for trying to help.