Author Topic: Crumpsall Open Air School  (Read 20830 times)

music 2

Crumpsall Open Air School
« on: 20:07:25, 09/06/14 »
I haven't been on these boards for a while.
I was a full time carer for my husband when I joined this site and was more or less housebound and so had time to go on computer.
I have looked in again as I have become friendly with a lady who is still being helped by Carers Outreach where we met and she tells me that she went to Crumpsall Open Air school and I said I knew it.
She was amazed as she had never met anyone who had ever heard of it.
We both live in North Wales but Manchester born and bred.
I lived in Crumpsall,but she lived in South Manchester and went to this school in the 50's ...and at that time my mother worked there cleaning the schoolrooms.
Apparently ,this was a day school and not live in,but I remember seeing beds out on balconies in the fresh air.
There was a lot of TB around when I was at school and this school gave sufferers a lot of fresh air.
Wonder if anyone out there remembers this school on Middleton Rd at the top of Crumpsall Lane....not too far from Cheetham Hill and the Half Way House?
I told her about this site and she asked me to post this...here's hoping someone else can recall!
I may be wrong,but don't think this has been mentioned before!

TickTock

Re: Crumpsall Open Air School
« Reply #1 on: 21:39:20, 09/06/14 »
I remember the school but never paid much attention to it, as it was just something we passed when driving down/up middleton road.

migky

« Reply #2 on: 22:28:38, 09/06/14 »
Here is the school, i lived at the back of it off Catherine road late 1970's

I'm a bit like Marmite

migky

« Reply #3 on: 22:34:26, 09/06/14 »
And today it looks like this  :o

I'm a bit like Marmite

music 2

« Reply #4 on: 20:41:05, 10/06/14 »
Thank you  migky for these photos.
My friend will love them as she has fond memories of her time at this school.
My mum was friendly with the head mistress but I can't remember her name.
I presume the building has now been converted into flats!...looks like it on the later picture!

les1936

« Reply #5 on: 14:20:13, 17/06/14 »
I used to pass this school regularly in the 1950s when we used to walk up Crumpsall Lane on the way to visit my grandparents who lived further along Middleton Road.  Had no idea it was anything but an ordinary school.
There was a row of shops adjoining the school if I remember correctly and in the next block there was the Belmont

migky

« Reply #6 on: 15:56:43, 17/06/14 »
Shops still there, look on Google earth.
I'v had many a drink in the Belmont, come to that i'v had many a drink in many a pub :D

Migky ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

Elmab

« Reply #7 on: 22:00:54, 29/07/14 »
I went to Crumpsall Open Air School, hated it!!

mikelee

« Reply #8 on: 22:15:41, 03/12/14 »
I went to this school in the late 60s and early 70s when Mr Price was the head master. So many happy memories of friends past great school.

merrylegs

« Reply #9 on: 06:08:03, 13/12/14 »
I went to Crumpsall Open Air School from 1953 to 1955.  We were picked up by a   special bus from home, had breakfast at our desks, dinner in the hall, then tea  at our desks.  I was sent there for Sunray treatment, but I have friends who had different ailments.   We sat outside in the summer with the desks in the garden.  Had a sleep after dinner.   I remember teachers, Mr Seed, and Mr Wood. I have all the names of  the other pupils in my class  in my diary.  I was eleven years old when I first went there, I am now 72, and can remember it like it was yesterday.

cheethamgirl

« Reply #10 on: 08:31:11, 21/12/14 »
I used to pass by the school each weekday on my way from Cheetham to Blackley to my own school and saw from the upper deck of a no 60 bus a row of beds out on the veranda with children tucked up in them. I used to think how jammy they were, getting to lie in bed in the sunshine when I had to sit in a stuffy classroom doing maths. My mum explained to me that they were there because they were poorly. Good to hear they were well treated.
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

LAgal

« Reply #11 on: 05:22:04, 04/01/15 »
I went to a similar school 1943-1945.  It was a boarding school for Jewish kids from the Manchester area.  It was called Delamere, and located by a forest somewhere near Warrington.  There were 62 kids -- 31 girls and 31 boys -- all of us a little anemic  and poor.  I will be forever grateful for the wonderful care and education we were given there.  I would love to hear from any others who were there.

migky

« Reply #12 on: 09:20:16, 04/01/15 »
Delamere OpenAir School Opened in 1920. The school offered residential accommodation in a country district to poorer children from the Cheetham District. The founder and long standing Secretary was Miss Margaret Langdon. Their headquarters was at Frankenburg House, 149 Cheetham Hill Road.
Available for viewing :-
Records are held at Cheshire Record Office. These include plans (ref DDX 514) and papers largely relating to Helena Penina Landau's position as Head from 1921 to 1959.
The papers consist of: Annual Reports of the School, 1921/22-1957/58.
Report of the Building and Finance Committee from the inception of the School in 1919 to its opening in 1921.
'Birthday Books', bound volumes of pupils' drawings presented to Landau on her birthday, 1935-1957.
Photographs of pupils at the School, including photographs of visits to Beeston Castle and Delamere Forest.
Letters to Landau, 1945 re the death of her sister, Annie, and 1952-1959 from former pupils and parents.
Newspaper cuttings and journal articles re Landau and the School.
Draft of speech made by Landau at the School AGM in 1952.
'School Reports' written by Landau, 1950s.
Volume presented to Landau on her retirement (ref D6335).
Their address is Cheshire Record Office, Duke Street, Chester, Cheshire, CH11RL, [email protected]

This is a link to the school these days http://www.delamereschool.org.uk/

Migky  ;) 
« Last Edit: 09:23:53, 04/01/15 by migky »
I'm a bit like Marmite

Elmab

« Reply #13 on: 20:58:05, 05/01/15 »
For me the Crumpsall School was a unhappy experience, compared to Longfield Open Air School in Stockport, where I was very happy, obviously just a personal opinion!!

LAgal

« Reply #14 on: 06:45:18, 11/01/15 »
Migky, what an amazing phenomenon you are!  It never occurred to me that I would be able to revisit those special childhood memories.  Thank you so much. :smitten: